DIY co2 question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
So, I just finished making my diy co2 apparatus out of 2 plastic bottles, airline tubing, and an air stone. The standard yeast/sugar mixture and am waiting for it to start producing. My question is how many bps should I be seeing for a standard 2.5 gallon tank with a betta, two ghost shrimp and dwarf hairgrass with some anubias? xD

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Are you sure you need CO2 for a bit of hair grass and anubias? What kind of lighting do you have for this tank. I would see how the plants do without CO2. Try a low tech approach first.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Well, I know the anubias doesn't need it. And I'm not sure on the wattage, but it's a very low LED light. And I dunno.. I feel like co2 would help out the plants a little since there's barely any nutrients coming from the substrate and I'm not fertilizing. What do you suggest?

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
With low lighting and just a few small plants, your plants won't need much nutrients nor CO2 to stay alive. With low lighting photosynthesis is limited which means plants don't need as much CO2 and ferts. The betta, shrimps, and their waste is probably all your plants will need due to very small plant mass and low light. If the plants don't make it, the next step is to increase the lighting.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Gotcha... Thanks, man :p But there's quite a bit of the hair grass. It surrounds the tank pretty much in little clumps.. But I'm gonna take your advice and give them a while and see if it works :) Thank you very much! I'll let you know if they alive or dead in the next update :p Alive I'm hoping xD

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
if the plants dont use it, then the algae will, good luck. as far as BPS, i never really figured it out, yeast is alive so they could make 3 bps today, or .5 bps tomorrow

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
i would say its your lighting. hair grass can be picky some times, i dont think the introduction of DIY CO2 alone will help, try new lights, then CO2 and maybe adding some N. its difficult, dosing in small tanks can get out of whack very fast. how long ago did you put the hair grass in, they may be just settling in still. plants hate to be moved around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store