How long of a light cycle for mosses?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
[HR][/HR]So I just planted my mini fissidens yesterday.
By planted, I mean, I chopped it up and dropped pieces sporatically accross my ADA Amazonia substrate. I'm hoping to create a grass like carpet as well as hold down the amazonia from floating away and washing into a section of sand I have.

This is in a 20 gallon long with two 24" T-8 bulbs for light.

I am trying to use the Dry Start Method ( DSM ) so the tank is empty and I am spraying it every day with treated tap water.

My question is: How long should I run the lights for?

I currently have the timer set for 8 hours, but not sure if I need more or less.
I know more light is supposed to give more growth, but don't mosses like low light conditions?
That being said, is two 24" T-8 bulbs too much light? I can run just one bulb, but was afraid that it wouldn't be enough light.

Bonus question: For those familiar with the dry start method. When I come to the point of flooding the tank, should I do it gradually, or just fill 'er up?

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Uhh... Dry start method?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I think he means grow it emersed, then fill up the tank

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Really? No one has any experience with moss?
Well anyways, the 8 hours on seems to be ok. Only 2 days, and I already see little specks of bright green new growth here and there. Hopefully it continues to do well.
My experience with moss... Eh.. Well not much since i cant seem to get it to grow at all... In any of my tanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I hear java moss is eaay to grow... and once it starts to grow, there's no stopping it xD Other than that, I haven't the slightest idea on mosses.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I can tell you that mosses will grow fine in low light, but they will explode (as much as mosses can "explode") in high light. Burn 'em bright, but keep that moss wet, or it will turn into a little brush pile before you know it. Mosses also really appreciate running water, and I don't think that works with your plan, but it's worth noting. I cranked up the lighting and moved my moss closer to the filter outlet, and it took off like a weed!

My lights are on 5 hours / off 4 hours / on for 5 more, then off for the night. It simulates mid-day cloud cover and regenerates CO2 giving the plants a second chance at morning photosynthesis and fuels growth without CO2 injection. Mine pearl like mad in the late afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Moss grows fantastic emersed, my java moss growing emersed has tripled in size and is growing bushy within about three months. LIghts are on for about 9hrs with a siesta in the middle of the day. Like Zorro said, be sure to keep it wet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store