Nano

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
I haven't had a tank for months now so decided to start one up again.

Just set it up today. Water was clearing up pretty fast. Put a nice piece of drift wood in the middle planted some dwarf hair grass and dropped in a fluval moss ball. I'll fill the water up to the top when I'm doing moving stuff around.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Pretty nice setup for a simple nano... And im guessing that the hairgrass may grow (albeit slowly) since that tank is quite shallow so that light plus possible ambient room light might work?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I really want to see how the dwarf hairgrass does with that light.
I had that same tank a while ago and those little LEDs didnt do much for plants but it did let hairgrass grow very slowly. I never thought those LEDs would grow anything u til the hairgrass started streading but you may want to get some supplemental lighting in there because those lights are definately tough to work with when growing plants.
But nonetheless thats a really cool setup and a nice choice of fish. Even though the tanks very small you should look into getting a pair of dario dario. As you know they stay really small and this tank size would help the male find the female much easier.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
Picked up a scarlet badis for this tank today. I know one of them is male and the other it's hard to tell still. I been wanting these little guys since I started this hobby but never could find some. Didn't realize how small they were. I was looking at shrimp for this tank but the guy wanted like $7 each for cherries and $14 for orange. Oranges would of been cool too. I'm about to set-up my 3g picotope too I'll probably put it next to the bed not sure if I'll do fw or sw with that. Hopefully my girlfriends can't won't mess with it since it has no lid. I still have a bunch of floramax left over. But I do have the light it came with and a blue led light too. I'm sure I'll be able to grow some plants.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Picked up a scarlet badis for this tank today. I know one of them is male and the other it's hard to tell still. I been wanting these little guys since I started this hobby but never could find some. Didn't realize how small they were. I was looking at shrimp for this tank but the guy wanted like $7 each for cherries and $14 for orange. Oranges would of been cool too. I'm about to set-up my 3g picotope too I'll probably put it next to the bed not sure if I'll do fw or sw with that. Hopefully my girlfriends can't won't mess with it since it has no lid. I still have a bunch of floramax left over. But I do have the light it came with and a blue led light too. I'm sure I'll be able to grow some plants.
Those 3g pico tanks come with good lights that grow some corals so you could probably get plants to grow easily. As for the scarlet badis, they are a PITA to get them to eat. Theyll gladly take live foods but the tricky part is to feed them anything else. Mine took to blood worms and even flakes( crushed and soaked so theyll sink easier). But once he had a taste for mosquito larva he never ate anything else. So unless you can keep the live food coming i would keep him strictly on non live food IME

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
The guy told me that they are taking only brine shrimp so far. I picked up a pack should last a couple months. Yea I'll probably just do a planted tank for the picotope since I have a bunch of extra substrate. Kind of want to do sw again too but it'll be more work.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
The guy told me that they are taking only brine shrimp so far. I picked up a pack should last a couple months. Yea I'll probably just do a planted tank for the picotope since I have a bunch of extra substrate. Kind of want to do sw again too but it'll be more work.
Scarlet badis are fun to watch. When i first got one i put im in my lightly planted 10gal and lost him because how small he was! I found him hiding behind my anubias nana. Very fun to watch and observe. I wish i found him a female and couldve provided live foods for him. Seeing this thread makes me want to get another one and make a nano planted as well in my 2.5 gal. I hope you enhoy him as much as i enjoyed mine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store