Stocking question for a 20g Long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013

got my aquascape all planned out :D the left and right corners will be densely planted with the center being a bit more open, though I may add a few short plants (maybe put one in front of the rock closed to the front of the tank)

For fish... I'm thinking either 3 Dwarf Gourami (1 mal 2 females) or some dwarf rainbows (I'd REALLY like the dwarf Rainbows more if you guys think it can work out)

For schooling fish I think I might go Red Minor Tetras.

and for the bottom I'll probably just do corys

So what do you guys think? Will I be able to add another schooling fish or will the dwarf rainbows and tetras be enough for schools?

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Hope you dont take this the wrong way, but the center piece reminds me of the Mc D's logo....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013
LOL!!!!! it kinda does.... XDD but im too lazy to move everything cus those rocks took FOREVER to set up right.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Well im sure once you get all the plants in it will take away from that a lot... Just that atm with the tank missing some plants, the center piece really sticks out thats all...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
The stocking sounds good, and the scaping plans look great. That dead center heater is an eyesore, though. Can you drop that down or put it in some black pvc near the filter?

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013
yeah plants will help, but i took that picture head on. people who visit and sit on the couch view it at a slight angle, so you really dont see the 'M" that much.

Well... the rocks are in the way from dropping it down further and im NOT moving those.. they were a pain to get just right. I could move it over to the right where it would be behind future plants...but then the tank wouldn't be evenly heated since I heard the best place for a heater is smack dab in the middle of the tank either at a slight angle or horizantal. It doesn't bug me actually and i plan to put some small plants on the rocks too so that should help.

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013
Hah, I talked to Reefmissoula today and asked if they knew about a local FRESHWATER store cus I was interested in getting a zebra pleco and Dan (the owner) said he could order one from his supplier for me for pretty much $300. It's the cheapest I've seen them o-o. He said his supplier has the Venezuela Zebra Pleco, and he doesn't know the difference between the Ven. Pleco and the Brazilian pleco though, but he could order it for me.
I COULD have one instead of cories. Thoughts?

got my plants today!!
waiting for them to perk up a bit before trying to plant them this is the 'range' of plants I might have

Could include but not guaranteed -
Dwarf Sag
Green Hygro
Jungle Vals
java moss
Several Species of Ludwiga
bacopa
Floaters - greater duckweed, duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, frogbit, salvinia, azolla
anacharis
wisteria
Myrio
Limnophilia Sessefloria
Rotala
honwort
crypts - red or green
Brazillian Pennywort

from the buyer. I'm hoping I don't have duckweed, but I think I might have Frogbit because the floaters are HUGE. bigger than duckweed. It's not Salvinia cus its not 'bumpy'. but I'm sure I have wisteria.

They all arrived in a huge clump, so some are still mushed together. Some of these plants I'll have to research some because I have no idea what Myrio is... or Limnophilia, rotala...bacopa... there are a few others that sound familiar but their details escape me @_@

Last edited:

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I think the best place for a heater is right next to the filter intake that way it takes in the heated water and pushes it around the tank more evenly xD

M8D

AC Members
Mar 26, 2013
Nitrites showed up today (or could have yesterday, i didn't test for them yesterday) around .5 to 1ppm (those purples are so close to the other I can't really tell, though Im leaning more towards 1ppm cus it was a bit darker) so... YAY! Haha, just when I was about ready to just say forget this crud i'ma go get TSS to jump start it

my tank was like: "Nope! We ganna save ya 10$. Here have some bacteria!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store