Fresh Water FISH HELP!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

funnybunny21225

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2014
ok this week has not been good at all I have a 45gallon freshwater planted coumity tank first my filter went up so I went and spent $60 on a new filter and then my heater decides to explode in my tank so I order another on and shipping says is will be here tomorrow and then my light on my tank burned out now I can see on my last few fish(most have died already) white spots on the ends of the fins what could that be frost bite idk if fish can get it but they are warm water fish and the tank is cold about 55degrees once I get my heater and the tank gets back to the right temp would the living fish live and would those marks go away or what should I treat the tank with

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Holy crap, how cold is it in your house??? I'd kick the furnace on to raise the room temp

What kind of fish are in there? A lot of fish can recover from a cold spell, but your tank is very cold... Just try not to shoot it back up to 80 degrees in one day.

Also, are you in any of the winter storms, and are you using surge protection?

psyche

AC Members
Jul 16, 2009
You might want to get a current regulator. All three thing going suggest you might be having some current surges in your supply?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
55 will nuke most fish in my experience. It sounds like the drop in temperature caused infection to me.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
55degF? YIKES! Is this tank in a basement?

I've mulled over setting a tank or three up in the finished part of our basement that has heat, but we don't keep it heated all the time. It can get down to 55F there. IMO, you'd want two smaller heaters to reliably and consistently raise your tank temp by ~20F.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Always have 2 heaters that are just barely big enough, rather than one big one. That way, there's a backup and time to do something if one of them fails.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
The spots your describing sounds like some of your fish may have white spot disease... If thats the case, crank up the heater to around 30'C to try anf kill it from the tank before it gets worst and spreads....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I second the idea of getting some kind of surge protector.. Something is going on to make all your electronics fry in one week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store