Nitrates and anchor worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

malott72

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2014
Here is my latest adventure. I tested my nitrate level.. It has been 100+ for months. Today after fighting with it, I removed ALL of the gravel from my tank, did a 50% water change, and the nitrate test was still bright red! Which is around 100+. What am I missing? My big piranha has anchor worms and am waiting on the medicine in the mail. I assume these were caused from live feeders and poor water.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
What is the nitrate level in your tap water?? If that is high also, you aren't going to get far with water changes. And how high can nitrates get?? If they are really off the charts, maybe the 50 % water change dropped the nitrates, but not below the 100+ level. In that case repeated 50% changes will get the levels down.

I would say the anchor worms came in with the feeders and have nothing to do with poor water quality (other than it will be harder for your fish to fight them off). I had goldfish with anchor worms once. They belonged to a friend who caught some sunfish and put them in the tank. Once he saw the anchor worms, the goldfish became my fish. I just pulled them off with tweezers. It worked great. Wouldn't recommend it for you though. :jaw-dropping:

wren

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What test kit are you using? Expiration date?

malott72

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2014
My water nitrates are zero. I have been doing 50% water changes every three days. I haven't tested it since last week. I use the API Master Test Kit. I know to shake the bottle 30 secs and the tube for 60. My kit expires in 2018.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store