Plants vs. Concrete... A Battle or Balance?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

With a new concrete background would you?

• Total voters

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
calivivarium1 and I were talking in PM about my plans for my new 55 gal, and I thought we should open up the discussion to everyone. I'd like to hear opinions and experience on this since it's my first shot at it... I'm building a 3D concrete background using styrofoam and concrete (mostly).

I've read that the concrete will leach minerals into the water for a while after it's first wet down, and I had an idea of putting a bunch of fast growing stem plants in the tank straight away to soak up the leached materials that will be present in the water and substrate. Cal suggested that it might be wise to dispose of those plants after they have soaked up the leach-water, and I agree that it wouldn't hurt to do that. However, I started thinking about the biology of it, and it seems like the plants wouldn't soak up anything they couldn't metabolize and break down (unless they are forced to by virtue of high mineral concentration). I can't imagine that such a small amount of concrete would release a high concentration of anything since it's pretty inert on its own. It is rather likely to raise Kh and pH significantly for a while though. No chance I am putting fish in there until it's stable for a week of tests at reasonable levels.

Anyway, what do you think?

First:
A. Plant it to speed the cleaning of the water?
B. Don't plant it, just do massive water changes?

Second: (If you say, "plant it".)
A. Leave the plants in there after it stabilizes.
B. Yank them out.
C. Cut them down to the substrate.

Tell us why you feel the way you do...

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
Put background in the bathtub for a week.
Or install, fill then 100% water change after a week.

Then plant. Leave plants in there.

I predict you'll be fine. I predict you are overthinking it.
This is just my opinion based on logic and Second hand knowledge, I don't have experience with concrete backgrounds.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Put background in the bathtub for a week.
I only have one bathtub, so that would stink... or I would :)

Don't worry, I'm not worried... just thought it would be fun to hear all the opinions. My friends call me a "fish nerd" for a reason... I love some aquarium science projects!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I say plant it... then after the water stabalizes, just cut the plants down and then plant some more. That sounds logical to me considering that anything leeched out by the concrete shouldn't be super harmful if there are quite a few plants.. that way it distributes evenly throughout them. I have evidence proving this... just makes sense xD

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I only have one bathtub, so that would stink... or I would :)

Don't worry, I'm not worried... just thought it would be fun to hear all the opinions. My friends call me a "fish nerd" for a reason... I love some aquarium science projects!
I love aquariums and science projects! I just got a 20L to hopefully get a small SW tank going and im not fond of topping it off everyday so im thinking of ways to do a drip system to keep the water level stable.

Now back to your question. I would put the background in your tank for about a week then do a 100% water change then plant it. Thats just something i would do. I see no harm in adding plants to consume anything that leaches out from the background but im very fond of my fish and plants so i just dont like risking much.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I'm pretty sure i've read on other forums people use epoxy or something to coat their concrete deco to minimize leeching...

That imo would seem to be the safest bet...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I say plant it with fast growing plants and trim them back to help remove some of the compounds that leech into the water. But if I have some time tomorrow maybe I'll actually look at what exactly leeches from quikrete and see if it is actually readily absorbed by the plants or not. I would think SOMETHING would be absorbed by the plants (either directly as food/with the water/etc) but whether or not it is enough to make a difference...

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
... look at what exactly leeches from quikrete and see if it is actually readily absorbed by the plants or not. ...
That. Why I voted the way I did. :) I also don't KNOW exactly what would leach, but would be concerned about heavy metals and the like that wouldn't be absorbed, along with Calcium Carbonate making the water hard.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what my vote was, I'm the only one that voted!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Hear that? atreis is in the lead on the poll LOL!

I know that a lot of people use Quikrete cement for 3D backgrounds, so at least it's not uncharted territory. I've been looking at the ingredients, and I don't see anything "harmful" per say, and no heavy metals at all. Alumina, which is made from Bauxite and used in aluminum metallurgy is the closest to metal in the mix. It's commonly used in production of ceramics, so nothing too out of the ordinary. Silica is in there too, but it's also in sand, which is commonly used as a substrate. Basically I don't think anything will leach out that is harmful aside from increased carbonate hardness and therefore an elevated pH.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
concrete has a high ph of 10-11. a 2 part epoxy sealant would be fish safe.people use this for diy plywood tanks,backgrounds and affixing rhizomatous plants to hardscape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store