20L: FW or SW?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So i recently bought a 20L from petco to upgrade my 10gal but my dad really wants a SW tank. I keep trying to tell him that a 20gallon tank isnt a good start for a SW tank but he disagrees and always says- " its small so it should be easy". But inevitably this tank is mine and going in my room so i make the final decision. Im capable of keeping a FOWLR or FO. But all the equipment i have would suit a FW system much better. So what do you think; FW or SW?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Personally speaking i would stick with fresh... In a 20G you arent going to be able to add too many fish in there...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Sounds like you aren't really interested in SW, so I'd stick with FW. I personally have zero experience with SW but someday I'd like to try it. But I'd need to learn about keeping a SW tank before deciding.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im not concerned on how many fish i can keep in a tank. If i go SW itll be a pistol shrimp and goby tank. If i go FW itll most likely be a species only tank.
The only thing stopping me right now is that i got laid off on Tuesday. Im in no rush to setup this tank so until i decide what i want to do and get everything i need, i wont set up this tank

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Hope you find another job soon. Sucks to be laid off...

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Sucks to hear about the job, but as far as setup goes, i guess stick with what you feel you would personally be more interested in...

But i have to say the pistol shrimp + gobie idea sounds pretty neat...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've seen some sick 20L salt tanks in my life. One in particular was absolutely stunning with corals and had pistols and a single clown with a host anenomae (spelling) in it.

cb101

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
South Florida
Real Name
Charlie
I've had a 20G FOWLR and a 105G Reef with 40G sump. The 20G took constant fiddling to maintain parameters and I did lose a fish or two. The large tank almost ran itself once set up. Larger is definitely easier, but, quite a bit more expensive. You sound like you know what you're doing and could keep up with top offs, temperature swings and water changes in a small SW tank. If you can also afford the LR and extra equipment to make the SW and do water changes then I think it comes down to what you want. If you do SW you may want to think about drilling your 20G and making your old 10G a sump or even getting another 20G for a sump. This would give you more water volume, which would help with temperature, salinity etc and let you put heaters and any other equipment down below. If you do SW I would also get a refractometer to measure the salinity. IMHO a Hydrometer just isn't accurate enough.especially with a small tank.
Either way good luck with the tank and finding a new job.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
SW gets more difficult as the tank size decreases - it's harder to hold the salinity and temperature constant, and the fish are not tolerant of the fluctuations. The ocean is BIG and very stable... Reef fish generally don't have to deal much with such fluctuations in their natural habitat and haven't adapted to it the way freshwater fish have.

If you're new to salt, I'd recommend making the small tank freshwater and doing something larger with salt. (SW also end up being expensive - might want to hold off on that for now anyway ...)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store