I Need Help ASAP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWater2525

AC Members
Jan 5, 2014
Hi!

Today, I went to my LFS, and asked if they had any suggestions for my 10 gallon tank. The employee there told me that just that morning she brought in two of her very on White Clouds. She said they were very healthy and not stressed, and if I wanted them, I could have them free of charge. She seemed very knowledgable to me, and knew all kinds of facts about all the fish they had! She definitely knew what she was talking about, so i thought " Why not?"

Now the White Clouds are here and currently in the bag floating in the water. I was wondering if anyone could quickly give me some advice on how to properly acclimate them. I did plenty of research, but just wanted back up from experienced owners.

I also know very little about White Clouds. I know it wasn't the best thing to buy a fish you don't know about upon impulse, but I couldn't help myself!!!!! It was a great offer, and I couldn't pass it up...... But can anyone give me tips on these fish??? Do they breed quickly??? ( it's a boy and a girl pair) Are they hardy fish??? Good for beginners??? What are some good tank mates????

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I also had my water checked, and it was great!!!!!

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
White Clouds are an easy-to-keep, peaceful Tetra. They're schooling fish, and prefer to live in groups of 6 or more. They're impact on bio-load is low, so you could keep a small school in a 10g along with a small number of appropriate other fish.

Have you cycled your tank? Are they the first fish in there? What other fish are in there with them?

If you haven't cycled, you're in for trouble - you'll need to start doing a lot of large, frequent water changes (daily, 80% - not terribly hard with a 10g tank). It takes a couple months for a tank to cycle without any assistance. If you haven't cycled, go back to the LFS and ask them for a small amount of substrate from one of their tank in order to help you cycle yours faster. I've never encountered an LFS that refuses this request.

FishyWater2525

AC Members
Jan 5, 2014
Hi treis!

yes, my tank is cycled but currently empty. They aren't the first fish in there, but are currently by themselves. I plan to add 5 more next week!!!:grinyes: I want it to be a species only tank with 1 or 2 Nerite Snails..... Is that a good combination?? Thanks!

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Yes, that would be a great combination. Add a plant or two (Java Fern and Anubias Nana as fairly easy low-light plants) and it'd be a nice little setup.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
All I can say is that you got lucky! You brought home a fish you didn't know anything about, and it was an easy one. It's a dangerous method of fish keeping. I'm glad it worked out this time, but let this be a lesson to you and everyone. Shame on LFS girl for not educating you more too!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
White Clouds are not "tropical" so you don't need a heater if you don't already have one. Room temperature is just fine.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
White Clouds are not tetras. They are Cyprinids and are related to danios, barbs, goldfishes, minnows and carp. They are a hardy and easy fish to keep and are a great fish for beginners.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
White Clouds are not tetras. They are Cyprinids and are related to danios, barbs, goldfishes, minnows and carp. They are a hardy and easy fish to keep and are a great fish for beginners.
+1 they also do breed easily if you just give them what they need such as good water quality and a good diet. To enduce breeding behavior you could even go as far as small 10% water changes a day along with live foods but literally all they will need is good water and a good diet.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store