Ideal rocks to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishlvr

still doesn't have a clue...
Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
Hey, my first thread I've started. :D

Anyway, I want to go to a local landscaping business and get some rocks to use in my 55gal. I want to build a small rock wall in one corner using small, rectangular sized rocks. Should I look for a certain kind of rock? I don't want to put anything in there that will break away or add something unwanted to the water (chemically).

Thanks for your input. :)

Heetseeker

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Iowa, USA
Visit site
Put a few drops of vinegar on the stone. If it fizzes, its bad. That would alter your Ph for sure. Other than that i'm not sure. Just make sure it hasn't been chemically treated or colored. That couldn't be good!

belmont0182

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
slate would be best. you dont want any rocks that are pourous. when you get your rocks make sure that you boil them or clean them with bleach.

fishlvr

Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
slate is thin, isn't it? I would like 2-3 inch think stones... kinda like bricks stacked up in one corner making a curving rock wall.

RioXingu

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
Janesville, WI
www.ticon.net
Over the years I have gathered a sizeable collection of rocks for aquarium use, mostly petrified wood. It is safe, and usually very colorful.
It's kind of pricey, but hey, they last forever.
Slate is good too, especially for building caves and shelfs.

Bill in WI

fishlvr

Mar 29, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma
www.abstractsync.com
I finally got my rock wall built. nothing spectacular, but after I get plants added I think it will look much better. Have a look....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store