Fancy Spiders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2005
VA-DC-MD
This little guy is known as the Maratus speciosus, or the Coastal Peacock spider. His orange hairs are only visible during his mating display.

The Maratus harrisi is one of the more rare species of Peacock spider; this is only the third spider to ever be photographed.

Maratus linnaei is one of the hairier Peacock spiders, almost resembling a cross between a moth and tarantula.

Meet the Maratus mungaich and its all-seeing eye.

This little guy is a mysterious species of Maratus, hailing from Tasmania.

And this mystery Maratus is from Australia.

The Maratus amabilis coloration almost seems like there are eyes looking back at you.

We love Darlington’s Peacock spider’s tiny white mustache.

The Maratus splendens very well could hold the secret to Spiderman’s powers.

The bright colors of the Peacock spiders are used by males to attract mates.

(And who wouldn’t love this fantastic dancing?)

… still scary, even though they are SO tiny.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
This is awesome! The photos made tyem appear much larger but then the photo with the spider on the finger nail just surprised me. Very interesting, thanks for sharing this!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
[video=youtube;9GgAbyYDFeg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgAbyYDFeg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUA1shkhjIY_QiDdYfEYDqew[/video]

Watch it on youtube as there are 10 videos total of 9 different species. The behavior is as striking as their appearance.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
The picture of the tiny spider on a fingernail will go a long way in allowing me to truly enjoy these, rather than having them become a part of my nightmares... :)

wren

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Do they bark ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store