WTB Nerites with a Hunger for Hair Algae - Near FL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I'm looking for some hungry nerites near me to eat a large buffet of hair algae. Small snails are snacking, but I think it's time to call in the big guns. I prefer snails close to me for logistical reasons. I am in a rural area ZIP 32567, so all of my mail takes an extra day to get to me in previous experience.

Thanks,
Dave

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want big guns, probably Amano shrimp would be a good way to go.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thank you for the info all! If nerites aren't the right eater for the job, I will hunt down some Amano Shrimp. I have 3 SAE, and they prefer BBA, so I moved them to a tank that had some. It's clean now :) They ate very little hair algae when they were in the tank with it.

This thread can be closed.

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
The best hair algae demolishers, IMO, are American flagfish killies (Jordanella floridae). Guess where they just happen to be native to? :) Go get a fishing license and have at 'em! Only problem is they can be nippy, so don't stick them in with, say, tiny fish or shrimp. Mine are fine with my mollies and Gambusia in a southeast natives tank. And there's not a speck of hair algae in there.

Nerites aren't great with hair algae, but they do clean up other types. Olive nerites can be found in brackish waters along the Gulf coast. :) Might as well go snag some of those while you're out hunting down those flagfish!

Can you tell I'm a huge fan of collecting trips? XD

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The best hair algae demolishers, IMO, are American flagfish killies (Jordanella floridae). Guess where they just happen to be native to? :) Go get a fishing license and have at 'em! Only problem is they can be nippy, so don't stick them in with, say, tiny fish or shrimp. Mine are fine with my mollies and Gambusia in a southeast natives tank. And there's not a speck of hair algae in there.

Nerites aren't great with hair algae, but they do clean up other types. Olive nerites can be found in brackish waters along the Gulf coast. :) Might as well go snag some of those while you're out hunting down those flagfish!

Can you tell I'm a huge fan of collecting trips? XD
That's a great idea! I'm sure I can find a local with some knowledge of where I might find both :) Sounds like fun!

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
I know of a puddle on Okaloosa Is. that definitely has the nerites (or it did a couple years ago when I was last there—it also has sailfin mollies, if you like those), but that's probably an hour-ish from where you are—there's sure to be somewhere closer (if you ever go visit the Gulfarium, though, it's right around there)... the flagfish I can't give you any leads for, unfortunately. Your local bait shop would probably be a good place to check for info on spots that might have them. :)

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I know of a puddle on Okaloosa Is. that definitely has the nerites (or it did a couple years ago when I was last there—it also has sailfin mollies, if you like those), but that's probably an hour-ish from where you are—there's sure to be somewhere closer (if you ever go visit the Gulfarium, though, it's right around there)... the flagfish I can't give you any leads for, unfortunately. Your local bait shop would probably be a good place to check for info on spots that might have them. :)
I'll PM you on that puddle... I am an hour-ish from there too. It's all good... I'll have to head South no matter what. Thank you for the reply and the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store