Tore down and moved my 55g..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have to hand it to those who do this with any monotonous regularity. Wow what a lot of work!! I haven't done a break-down and re-do in a good 25+ yrs! It took me a good 4-5hrs total.

I used my canister filter lines to fill a storage tote. Transferred the filters, heater, plants, fish, etc to the tote. Scooped out all the gravel, shop-vac'd all the remnants, scrubbed with a plastic scrubby and pitchers of water to rinse... shop vac'd again. Storage tote started to bellow out pretty good, but she held!

It took me some time to level the stand in it's new spot. All new gravel and added a new background.

The white blobs in the background are panty loads (lol) of used gravel from the existing setup. I was surprised at the root system the wisteria had developed. My anubias nana had attached itself to the resin stone/cave and my java fern have attached nicely to shells. I hope it all takes! Here's the before and after:

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I liked it better before... change it all back!

J/K Looks good! Wisteria can make some massive root systems. I pulled a bunch out and the runners were all rooty too. meximan is looking for some if you are looking for a new home for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Z.

I'm hoping using the existing canister, HOB, small internal filter, hardscape and plants will keep my water parameters OK. Tank was scrubbed clean w/ nothing but chlorinated tap water and all the gravel was changed out.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Was there a problem before, or did it just need to be moved?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Was there a problem before, or did it just need to be moved?
Had a momentary lack of good judgement and ordered a 75g tank that will go where the 55 used to be. :screwy:

I plan to get a single oscar for the 75.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
That would have taken me all day. Nice job! The panty method is great idea. I'm not planning to move my tank but I'm thinking of changing the background picture to give a "new" look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store