Aquatic Plant ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Howdy! I have had this rosette plant growing in my propagation tank for a while. I first thought it was val. americano or dwarf sag with a disease, but I let it go just to see what would happen, and it spread via runner into identical rosette plants. It's grassy looking with rusty tiger stripes as you can see below. runners go below the substrate and come up to make new rosettes unlike dwarf sag. Any ideas?

Photo Jan 14, 6 44 21 PM.jpg
Photo Jan 14, 6 45 00 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 14, 6 44 21 PM.jpg Photo Jan 14, 6 45 00 PM.jpg

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I'd say Val over sag because of the leaf structure, root structure and how the runners look - just my educated guess

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Yep thats a nice little val. Those runners will continuously spread where I it can. Dwarf sag is much smaller with thin rootlike runners.

In my big tank I've had them 5' long before.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I vote val too, but I never had 1 with those speckles. Do they rub off like diatoms or some kind of alga? Jungle val is the big 1 but I have a mystery 1 that's much smaller & thinner, straight leaved than that or spiral val but bigger than dwarf sag.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Really? I have Val Americana in another tank from the same order and none of it has the rusty striping. If it was algae or something, it wouldn't come across the same in baby plants through the runner. I mean it's cool... I've just got nothing like it in the tank. It looks about the same as all the others aside from the rusty markings.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I transplanted some V. nana into my outdoor 5 gallon tank and it began to develope reddish speckles on the new growth. I will post a pic tomorrow. I never saw it do that it any of the three other tanks I had indoors.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Huh, I'd never heard of leopard val before. I looked it up & it's a variety of spiralis... but apparently not spiral leaves. That does look like what you have.

Huapala, I wonder if my mystery val is nana, hmm. The person I got it from didn't know.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Nice! I just looked up leopard val too, and it does look like a match. Thanks ManEatingShrimp!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I vote val too, but I never had 1 with those speckles. Do they rub off like diatoms or some kind of alga? Jungle val is the big 1 but I have a mystery 1 that's much smaller & thinner, straight leaved than that or spiral val but bigger than dwarf sag.
Your mystery one is probably Val Americana. It's dark green with straight leaves. It looks like the one pictured here, but without the red marks. Snap a pic and share it if you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store