Cleaning tank with baby snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lulu

Gangsta Snail
Apr 24, 2008
NYC
www.hollerbackfilm.com
I have a snail only tank. They have laid a lot of eggs, and they are hatching periodically now, so there are a lot of teensy tiny baby snails around the tank. I don't want to vacuum the gravel, for fear of scooping up the little ones. Any suggestions on how to keep the tank clean? Thanks in advance.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
I'd siphon through a net in the bucket

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I use a sponge over my hose to syphon and clean my shrimp tanks...

Its actually designed just for that purpose, a very porous sponge, which is cylindrical shaped, with a hole carved put the center so that you can syphon without worry of sucking up small shrimp / snails...

-edit-

It looks pretty much like the black sponge attached to the right side of the filter intake pictured below...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lulu

Gangsta Snail
Apr 24, 2008
NYC
www.hollerbackfilm.com
Ok thanks! Could you put up a link to where I would buy something like that? I don't even know what to call it to google it. I am going to try putting a nylon over the head of the siphon in the meantime.
Thanks again.

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Unfortunately no link, its just something i picked up at the LFS' over here...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'd siphon through a net in the bucket
I tired siphon through a net, but sorting out the babies from the debris was a mission after a while.
They were so hard to pick up without crushing them.

Once your tank gets over populated with snails, their shells will start to rot away due to the high ammonia.

My suggestions is to just gravel vac away because it's very unlikely you will siphon then all away.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Is there a reason you want to vacuum the substrate? Is there a lot of debris? If so what's causing the debris? I have a lightly planted snail only tank as well and I don't have any issues with debris so I just siphon water from the middle/top of the tank.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store