Eggs on glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kristian9107

AC Members
May 21, 2013
My corydoras laid eggs on the glass of the tank, but i do not have a male cory catfish to fertilize them. How much time do i have to buy a grown male cory catfish to fertilize the eggs? And i wonder if i buy one, will he find the eggs right away and will he fertilize them?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I wouldn't think this would work.

I have heard of female cichlids (like angels) laying eggs with no male present, but I have not come across corydoras that do this, though I can't say it is not possible. Is there just the one cory in this tank? If you have multiple species, sometimes they will spawn cross-species.

Byron.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I thought Corys laid eggs on the substrate... are you sure they are Cory eggs and not snails?

kristian9107

AC Members
May 21, 2013
I have two corys but both are female (i'm not quite sure, both fish are maximum wide between their pectoral fins and the tail, i had 1 male but he died last week), i also have two angelfish 1 male and 1 female.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I thought Corys laid eggs on the substrate... are you sure they are Cory eggs and not snails?
I have sterbai cories that lay eggs on the glass and leaf of plants.
I moved them to a net breeder, but when they hatched, they fell through the holes and the tetras ate them. :(

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My emerald corys lay eggs on the glass of my 20L every other week or so. I've got lots of bushy fabric plants and float a bunch of wisteria in this tank, yet they insist on the glass. A couple of their preferred areas are behind the sponge filter tubing, heater and HOB intake.

I wish they'd plaster them on something I could remove from the tank and have a go at raising them!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have two corys but both are female (i'm not quite sure, both fish are maximum wide between their pectoral fins and the tail, i had 1 male but he died last week), i also have two angelfish 1 male and 1 female.
Is it possible the eggs were laid just prior to the "male's" death?

Corys do lay eggs on surfaces, as others have noted; leaves are often selected, the underside mainly. Chunks of wood, dry leaves, glass tank walls, filter tubes...almost any surface may be chosen. I have about 40 corys of varying species in one tank, and several have spawned on and off. While I have never seen the eggs, I have found fry that survived, three times. Once a fry was swimming in the canister filter and I found it when cleaning the filter.

By the way, I would get at least three more corys. All corys are best in a group, and five is minimum; more will be better, but try not to have less than five. Different species doesn't seem to matter much for most species, in my experience. Among my 40-odd I have some species with 4-5, some with 2, and a couple with just one. They all chum around together. I try to acquire 5-6 of a species, but for various reasons this is not always possible.

Byron.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The eggshells harden over within a matter of minutes after laying. So unless there is a spawning male(s) in the tank with the female there is no chance of fertilizing them.

Also eggs on the glass are quite easy to remove and can be put into a hatching container. I use large yogurt containers. Simply roll the eggs off with your fingertip and then drop them into the container with some water. Add a little methylene blue or acriflavin to prevent fungus and put an airstone in with some gentle aeration. Once the eggs hatch and the yolk is absorbed you can transfer the fry to a grow out tank.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store