Fish tank stand poly help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
So I built a stand a couple years ago and put on 4 coats of a normal poly. You can start to see that its not holding up anymore. So I need to re-do. My questions for your guys are:

1. What is the best method of taking the poly off?

2. Will I have to also reapply stain?

3. What's the best poly to use? I heard marine grade but does lowes/ Home Depot sell this?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
4 coats, man you have your work cut out for you, i would take a palm or hand belt sander to remove all the poly, if you go to far you will need to re apply stain. you should be able to get marine grade poly at a boat shop, i just use regular spray rustolium. or an all in one stain.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
How is it failing or not holding up? Is it peeling or just really dull?
Unlike shellac and lacquer which actually "melt" into the layer below it poly doesn't really bind with the layer below. Depending on waht the problem is you might be able to get away with scuffing it and adding another coat or two. It all depends on what is going on.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ugh.. I'd knock off the loose stuff, scuff it up, prime it 2x with Kilz or Zinsser and paint it a color you like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store