36" hood owners (30 gal), do you have adequate light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

idonthavegills

AC Members
Dec 26, 2013
I have a new 30 gallon tank arriving in about a week which is 36" x 12" x 16" high.
But I have noticed that a lot of the 36" hoods on amazon only hold a 24" fluorescent lightbulb (these are the ones that are hood/ cover that also stop a fish jumping out).

I figure the bulb might be strong enough ... but does anyone know if they have dark corners because the light is shorter?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
What are your intentions for this tank? Will you be growing plants? Fish only?
if you want plants, You should look for a twin tube T5Ho fixture. Right now I am running 4 39Watt T5Ho bulbs over a 72" 125 gal with plenty of light.

idonthavegills

AC Members
Dec 26, 2013
hey Zigman, can you post a cell phone pic?
does it sit flush with the edges and form a cover?
Fish only for now, intentions are photography so I'd like a lot of even and soft light.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
On my 30g I initially had a top as you describe yours to be. I was not satisfied with the amount of light for growing low/mid light plants so I changed to top to hinged glass and put a 2-lamp 36" strip light on it with full 36" 6500K t8 lamps. Much better for the plants I had; anubias, rotala, crypts, java fern.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store