Newsflash: Wife ASKED for a fish tank! Man in hospital being treated for shock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
So yeah, my wife asked me to setup another fish tank today for the kiddo's room. She has been supportive of my latest venture into the aquatic world (though she still eyes my 20gal with suspicion because it once got some water on our wood floor and discoloured it..) but I was pretty shocked when she asked me tonight to set up a small tank in the kid's room for aesthetics/white noise. So, now I need to figure out a tank and here is my list so far:

1) Small 1-5gal
2) LED Light w/ timer, "low" lighting. Possibly open top
3) Easy to care for, slow growing plants
4) Filter/powerhead setup in a way that creates a PLEASANT "waterfall" noise. Little to no humming/other sounds
5) Sturdy stand/location to place tank so it doesn't get knocked over/cords don't get pulled.
6) Fauna is absolutely last on this list because I don't really care; I'll find something interesting to live in there once the rest is figured out.

Hopefully I'll be able to work on my bike some tomorrow and then research this more.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Found a pair of kits that may fit the bill... Fluval Spec V and EcoExotic EcoPico. Only problem with these is I'm not sure I could really get good water movement on the surface to create noise. I have a 2.5 or 5gal tank somewhere (I dunno which it is), maybe I should just pull that out. It has a glass lid and that would probably keep splashing water inside the tank... it just doesn't look anywhere as cool as a rimless tank.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I hear great things about the Fluval Spec V tanks. But they may be quieter than what you want. If one of your main goals is waterfall noise I'd suggest you get a standard 5g and an AquaClear 20 or 30. All my AquaClears make no noise except for the waterfall noise when the water level gets a little bit low.

As for plants I'd suggest some java moss and java fern attached to some driftwood. Maybe a small Anubias or Hygrophila difformis, aka water wisteria. The low light should keep the wisteria from growing too fast.

Do the kids have a study dresser in their room? That should be more than strong enough to support the estimated 62 lbs.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

stingray4540

Hello, Hello, Helloooo!
Oct 18, 2005
San Jose, CA
www.geocities.com
How about a 5 gallon kit with a HOB filter? You can lower the water level for more noise, or find a way to raise the filter? Actually, it probably wouldn't be hard to raise the filter so the water has a longer fall to the tank. Heck, if you were really ambitious and good at making things, I bet you could turn a desktop fountain into the "filter" and have it return to the tank... Just a thought :naughty:

I would say heavily planted with easy plants like java fern and anubis, and stock it with Neon Tetras and Cherry Shrimp. That would be a neat little tank IMO. A lot more interesting to look at then a barren tank with a single Betta.

1) http://www.petco.com/product/121503/Fluval-Spec-V-Aquarium-Kit-in-Black.aspx
or http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...Aquariums+&+Bowls&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
or piece together your own: 5 gallon tank(is petco still having the $1/gallon sale?) an aquaclear filter, a hood with lights.

2)No suggestion on the lights, but you can pick up a cheap outlet timer at the hardware store.

3)Java fern, Anubis, mosses

4)Hang on back like aqua clear, or DIY a desktop fountain....

5)Dresser? Changing table? Anything will work really, 5gall isn't that heavy.

6)Cherry shimp and tetras. (if you go with shrimp, get a small sponge to put over the filter intake)

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I have the Spec V and really like it. But it's really, really quiet. There is no way to make this produce water noise. If you drop the water level to where the filtered water outlet is above the water, then the water level will be too low on the filter inlet side. I suppose if you rig a spray bar attachment to the outlet and locate it as far up as possible, then it might work.

Have you looked at the Fluval Chi? Now that is an all in one and has a waterfall effect perfect for creating that Chi mood...

Here's a Youtube I found: http://youtu.be/65C2BlYB7MQ

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Consider this another vote for the Chi.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Looking at the Fluval Chi now... didn't even know it existed, thanks for the heads up!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I would say heavily planted with easy plants like java fern and anubis, and stock it with Neon Tetras and Cherry Shrimp. That would be a neat little tank IMO. A lot more interesting to look at then a barren tank with a single Betta.

^ I like this idea as well :B

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Welp.... I am leaning towards a tank with a glass lid at the moment. I really want to go low maintenance, but there is a part of me that wants to do a terrarium with a water fall (and maybe a frog!). We'll see here, I usually give these types of projects a week or two to think about them (thanks for the suggestions so far, by the way) so I don't rush into something that I'll tire of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store