Salt concentration for freshwater ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptune555

AC Members
Nov 18, 2013
I have read many different formulas for adding the right quantity of salt to a tank when treating ich. 1.5 teaspoons per gallon / 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. Can anyone share the percentage of salt using a refractometer or a hydrometer? I have both from my saltwater fishtank. I propose this might be a better way to ensure the right salt concentration b /c I am not exactly sure how much water is in my tank due to substrate.

thank you
neptune

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I cannot answer your question as to specific percentages, but I would just like to caution that salt is not a good additive (even for ich) with many freshwater fish. The detrimental effects long-term can be significant for soft water fish. Hard water fish (livebearers, rift lake cichlids, etc) are much less at risk.

Without knowing the fish species it is difficult to recommend treatment, but raising the temperature can work on its own if it is high enough. If the fish species are able to tolerate high temperatures, raising the tank to the high 80's F (close to 90F) for 10-14 days will kill the ich. I have some fish that cannot manage this, so I raise the temp to 86F and keep my eye out; in really stubborn cases I also use CopperSafe. This is not a strong copper base so it seems not to bother sensitive fish like some of the other preparations will.

Byron.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store