Okay $1600 budget what to get. New to saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
Okay so having read the stickys and using search functions I have come up with this question. If you had a $1600 budget to set up a saltwater tank how would you go? I am leaning toward building the stand and lighting myself and going from there with a 125gal. Not counting fish where would you put your money?

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
It really all depends on what you want to keep. Do you want a FOWLR or do you want a reef? If you want a reef do you want SC or HC (soft coral or hard coral)? Did you want to have a canister or a sump/refugium? All these choices will require different equipment at different price ranges.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
1600 is pushing it for a 125. Building your own lights has really become less cost effective. Lots of capable manufactured lights out there can compete with DIY prices. If you are going FOWLR then maybe it would be a bit cheaper.

Nothing wrong with buying used as long as it is quality equipment.

RO/DI unit, skimmer, powerheads and lighting should be the focus (IMHO).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah 1600 is pretty low budget for that size setup, check out various classifieds, craigslist try to find some good equipment at used prices vs buying cheap new equipment that you'll regret and replace later on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store