LED Light Boost Mod

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I bought this Tetra 10 Gallon Half-Moon Aquarium on Craigslist for $30. Out of the box it came with a 24 LED overhead clamp on light. It's not bad, but not great for plants I'm sure you would all agree. So I decided to boost the light output without replacing the light kit itself. The half-moon shape pretty much dictates that it must be a clamp on or some janky looking aftermarket replacement sitting on top. This is a gift for one of my favorite little people (my niece, Aurora who is almost a 1 year old), so it must look professional and keep me in the favorite uncle position. Also, it will be in plain view in her living room, so I'd like to keep it classy looking.

I've done a few DIY projects with these Waterproof LED Strips, and I have learned how to use them to get a lot of light in a small space. I love those little lights!

Now on with the show...

First I opened up the light's plastic encasement I noticed it had an AC/DC power adapter at the wall plug, so it was a no brainer to tie right in to the incoming DC connection. I drilled 3 holes in the plastic where I wanted my wires to pass through to power the LED strips and for the wires to connect the strips to each other. (2 strips of 9 LEDs)

Photo Jan 18, 5 18 56 PM.jpg

Second, I soldered the wires to the first LED strip and from there to the solder points where DC power first connects to the simple circuit board the stock LEDs are attached to. Then I cut a strip-to-strip clamp-on wire set right down the middle and passed the wires up through the plastic encasement to bridge the two LED strips together. I soldered the wires back together and shrink tubed them for neatness and to avoid possible shorts.

Photo Jan 18, 5 19 45 PM.jpg

Finally, I used the self-adhesive back already on the LED strips and TADA! Snapped it back together and plugged it up... 75% increase in overall light output! You're welcome plants :)

Photo Jan 18, 5 33 19 PM.jpg

This took 15 minutes to do after I thought it through for 30 haha! I'll give up 45 mins of my time for a lifetime of better plant growth for my little buddy :) Now it should only take you 15 mins since I did the thinking part. Nothing goes to waste since I have other DIY LED projects lined up for myself. Whatcha think?

Photo Jan 18, 5 18 56 PM.jpg Photo Jan 18, 5 19 45 PM.jpg Photo Jan 18, 5 33 19 PM.jpg

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Very cool and creative way to do it :p And it's really sweet that you did that for your little Aurora! You definitely will retain the "favorite uncle" position :3

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Great project! You may want to just monitor how hot the power adapter gets. Might be pulling too much amps.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks great Dave! That's a cool little tank. Your LED mod may kick out enough PAR to do something for those plants. I know if I float wisteria in my 20L that has a cheap TopFin LED hood (that came w/ a 29g kit), the wisteria does grow a little bit. Basically, I've found that brightness means nothing with LED in regards to plants. I (cheaply) modded a Marinland 10g LED hood to no avail.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thanks J & FFM!

That's a wise idea, FFM... I thought about upgrading it to 500 mA from the stock 200 mA wall-wart since I'm sure I have one of those laying around, but it was a definite increase in brightness using the stock wall-wart so I didn't bother.

Since we're talking about it, let me make sure I am right, and maybe someone else reading this has the same question... The Amp rating on a wall-wart is the MAX it can draw rather than what it will push out no matter what, correct? I know that LEDs can be pushed harder than they are rated for power-wise (shortening life, risking short out, etc.), and I know they can not draw more power than the wall-wart is able to supply. The question is: Will changing the wall-wort to a higher rated one push the LEDs harder? If so, I need to figure out what the correct amperage should be so I don't burn them out by running them too hard.

Thanks for calling me out on this FFM... I thought about it, but I left it alone when it worked without an adjustment being made. That would be irresponsible of me.

Vindoo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2013
Port St Lucie, FL
Nice work...The small setup looks awesome.

I've done some LED work under the gunwales of my boat and made some cool light up drink holders for her as well. Would like to do something like this on my 29 gallon setup.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Well FFM, the bad news is: I don't know what kind of LEDs the stock ones are. The good news is, I only added 18 LEDs via the strips, so the increase in draw isn't much. The wall-wart has been running for 3.5 hours today, and it's not even warm to the touch! I think we are in good shape.

I hesitate to increase the amperage without knowing if I will increase output though, so anyone with the knowledge please chime in :)

Joel, I have used these strips before, so I know they have the PAR necessary for a tank of this height. I have these as my only light in my TV tank due to necessity and by design, and those plants are doing stellar... even glossostigma elatinoides which is a high light plant. Wisteria is going NUTS as well as Rotala Indica! Now I need to take on my 40 gal hex which is currently open... custom hood here I come! LOL

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Seahawks, yes! Ok, now about that mod. To be clear, the heat I'm worried about is the power adapter not the LEDs. If we assume those stock LEDs are 0.1 watts each at 12 volts, then the whole fixture would need 208 mA and that stock adapter rated for 200 mA would work.

If we assume the LEDs you added were also 0.1 W at 12V, then the mod would need 350 mA which is too much for that stock power adapter. So you really should use that 500 mA one. You risk overheating and possible shorts.

Power adapters will put out amperage that your load needs and not more. It's the voltage rating that you have to match. If the stock adapter is 12 Volts 200 mA, then you can use a 12 Volt 500mA or even higher is fine. If you add more LEDs, you have to keep up with the amps required but it's still the same voltage. I'm almost certain your stock adapter is much hotter now. If so it can be a fire hazard, thus needs to be upgraded ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store