BeamsWork 6500K 48" LED fixture.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I hope you will post a full review! That's a great price on an out of the box LED solution that big. Now will it live up to its expectations? We shall see... or you shall haha!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I really wish they would put adjustable dimmers on the fixtures, I'd give the evo quad a try but i think it might grow algae in my setup at full power.

Vino

AC Members
Jan 1, 2014
Western, NY
I really wish they would put adjustable dimmers on the fixtures, I'd give the evo quad a try but i think it might grow algae in my setup at full power.
Do you think the Evo Quad would be ok on a deep 29g without growing algae in a semi planted low tech?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Do you think the Evo Quad would be ok on a deep 29g without growing algae in a semi planted low tech?
Not sure, both my setups are currently low tech medium lighting(t5's) Pretty sure the Evo would be to much for my shallow 40b, my other tank is a 29g which is the one I'm not sure about. For about $40 more I can get one of the same led fixtures over my reef customized with 6500k led's i may end up going that route since its 2 channel dimmable vs aquatraders on/off

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hope you will post a full review! That's a great price on an out of the box LED solution that big. Now will it live up to its expectations? We shall see... or you shall haha!
I hear you! The intent of the tank is a single oscar. Another LED option was a 10000K unit for $59. I figured since I plan to float some wisteria or other float-able plants in this oscar tank, I may as well get something 6500K.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I hear you! The intent of the tank is a single oscar. Another LED option was a 10000K unit for $59. I figured since I plan to float some wisteria or other float-able plants in this oscar tank, I may as well get something 6500K.
Good plan! The coloration will look better under 6500K anyway.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks Dave! It's good to know plug-n-play units like this have come down considerably in price. I was going to get another Odyssea 48" T5HO 6500K fixture like I have on my planted 55g, but for ~$10 more, a ton less heat and no lamps to worry about, it's a no brainer IMO.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Freshy, I have a Beamswork too and the price point got me to buy one too. But my experience is that they are cheap because their power converter are cheap! Mine ran really hot for couple weeks and I noticed a funky smell one day. I noticed oily fluid leaking from the converter and after another few days, it crapped out. I ended up spending 5 bucks at my local computer repair store to get a used 12 volt converter to replace it. Otherwise it's a nice light! Hope you don't have a similar experience.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks FFM, I'll keep an eye on that. I know after some reading I was concerned about the same thing on my Odyssea 48" T5HO. I've never opened the remote ballast up on that fixture, but it doesn't even get warm to the touch w/ my 8hr/day usage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store