Newbie DHG help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jakester42

AC Members
Jan 20, 2014
Below is my tank. i have an incandescent light that came with the tank which is a quick start tetra tank deal. I want to carpet the DHG. I am using gravel and CO2 booster. Will it carpet and what do I have to do to make it carpet?

The filter blows the down onto the DHG is that a problem?

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
you need way more light!

and what substrate is that? looks like just regular aquarium gravel.

Either way, with your current lighting it will die within a few days.

how many gallons is that tank?

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I never had luck growing DHG in sand / gravel...

I did however manage to do it in a dirt tank, with medium light and ferts... Naturally having pressurized Co2 would help it grow a lot faster...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
Well for starters, if you really want to grow this plant, getting the appropriate lights would help immensely...

Something in the T5 range should work with color spectrum between 6500K - 8000K.. Adding ferts or root tabs to your dosing regiment will also help a fair bit, since gravel itself has no nutrients on its own...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
The filter blows the down onto the DHG is that a problem?
In my experience and from what I have heard from some of the guys on here, yes. It doesn't give the plants time to absorb nutrients. You don't necessarily need to dose CO2, dosing with ferts and a good "enriched" substrate should be adequate (e.i. eco-complete, flourite). For the lighting a bulb that's 6500k should be good, but like a zoo med ultra sun if the hood is T8. You really don't need to switch up to t5s, they are really expensive and your plants can do just fine under a t8 bulb. Just change it yearly. In my 75g I run GE/phillips 32w 6500k bulbs, but in my 29g, I use the zoo med ultra sun 6500k. Good luck! I'll follow your thread cause I'm going to be adding it into my 30, so any experiences you have would be great to know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store