Sick yellow lab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

73Electra 225

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
I think my one yellow lab might have ick. Its been hiding behind the sword leaves for the past week and today I noticed blotchy (not bright white, but a cloudy white) things hanging off around its head. Pics are super clear, sorry.

Is this ick or something else?

73Electra 225

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
From what I've read, I should raise temp and start to add salt. I already keep the tank at 79/80, so I bumped the heater to 82. In the morning, I'll try 83/84 and then when I get home from work in the afternoon do a vac of the gravel/water change then start adding salt. 1 Tablespoon per 3/gallons of non-iodized table salt okay?

Just to add, the fish have been rubbing themselves up against the rocks more than I thought they should, but the its only the one lab right now that has the blothches.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It's pretty hard from your pics, but I don't see anything that looks like ick, and usually there isn't any thing hanging off the fish with ick. Ick looks like little salt crystals stuck to the side of the fish. What you're describing could be a fungus, effects of fighting... a lot of things. Without clearer pics, it will be hard to tell.

Jim

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Looks more like fungus of some sort. Raising the temp is probably a good thing but I don't know how effective the salt treatment is on fungus. It works great for parasites. Hopefully someone with some good fungus knowledge will pop in here.

73Electra 225

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Well, from what I've read so far, salt can help w/ fungus, too. So I just did a ~25% water change, vac'd the gravel real good and added 2-2.5 tblsps of table salt. Turned the heater up a bit more, too. Tank temp is about 81/82 as measured from back bottom corner. At least the other 5 seem to be doing well.

73Electra 225

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Fooey

Well, I went to bed last night and it was still alive, even seemed slightly better as it came out of hiding after adding the salt. But when I awoke at 6 this morning, belly up on the gravel. None of the other fish are showing any signs, but I'm going to keep the salt solution in and keep the temp up for a few days to be on the safe side.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I would also suggest you greatly accelerate your water change schedule. The first thing I do almost any time a fish shows signs of distress or illness is to increase water changes. The cleaner the water, the less stress on the fish.

Was the lab's belly bloated? If so, that can point (partly, at least) to diet as possible cause.

Sorry about your fish loss,

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store