Play sand, CaribSea, or pool filter sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alyssabubbles

AC Members
Dec 16, 2013
I'm switching to sand but I don't know which type to use. This will be used by cory cats, so any experience with this? I'll be getting it in the color black if that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Well play sand and pfs don't come in black so I suppose you have your answer... out of the three I would suggest pfs, if you decide you don't absolutely need it to be black.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I have Quikrete Play Sand in five of six tanks now, and wouldn't go with anything else. My loaches and corys are fine. This sand has the added bonus of replicating the natural sands in the Amazon. It is not black, obviously, so if that really matters, you will need to find another inert sand.

One comment on black; I had this in one tank for two years and found it shows the detritus much worse than the play sand; I can't see the detritus unless I stir it up.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have Quikrete Play Sand in five of six tanks now, and wouldn't go with anything else. My loaches and corys are fine. This sand has the added bonus of replicating the natural sands in the Amazon. It is not black, obviously, so if that really matters, you will need to find another inert sand.

One comment on black; I had this in one tank for two years and found it shows the detritus much worse than the play sand; I can't see the detritus unless I stir it up.

Byron.
I had PFS and it added some more natural feeling to my tank imo.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I like PFS, caribsea is great too but more expensive though if you're looking for color its probably the way to go.

I've tried 2 different brands of play sand and tossed both in the garbage the stuff was incredibly dirty I rinsed and rinsed and was still dirty plus one of them had jagged little pieces in it.

Observer54

AC Members
Jul 5, 2013
Real Name
Mike
I'm using pool filter sand and I don't think you'd see much difference between it and play sand. PFS is supposedly screened for a particular size although it seems to me it has as many (or more) fines as any sand. If you haven't used sand before, it's really important to wash it well to remove the fines (dust like particulates). The best way is with small quantities at a time outdoors in a 5g bucket and the garden hose. I guess you could do it indoors but I like to keep the mess outside and the sand out of the plumbing.
As mentioned, play sand and pfs doesn't come in black. I have no experience with black sands...it's likely more expensive and as Byron points out, make sure it's inert and intended for aquariums as some mediums could release toxins.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
You can fit a whole 50lb bag of pfs in a 5g bucket. That's how I wash it.

I've also had black diamond blasting media which is nice because it's cheaper than anything but it is sharp, although I do know several MFK members that use it in their ca/sa cichlid tanks and even in their ray tanks with no issues. I've also had black PetCo brand sand. It's nice but expensive at $20 per 20lb bag.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Mike A. Hunt

Registered Member
Apr 16, 2014
I also suggest you that use the pool filter sand because it is much better then other type of sands. The sand grains are mostly white or light brown shade. But I think fishes like them because pool filter sand seems very friendly with fishes.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've used play sand as well as PFS(pool filter)

I much prefer Pool filter sand over the play sand the play sand needs a lot of rinsing and I had quite a bit of loss from all the smaller dust particles... PFS only requires a little rinsing and is much larger than play sand and a lot less 'dust'
I also like the lighter color which tends to make the tank look brighter and the fish easier to see, over the dark grey of the playsand.

I ordered it on line at the local Hardware store with free delivery to the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store