ID'ing a rock...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Anyone have any information on this rock...? I found it and thought it was a really pretty accent to my substrate. Excuse the dirt spot, I haven't cleaned it yet xD But the greyish stripe is part of the rock.. Anybody?
Thank you!!

uploadfromtaptalk1390437166089.jpg

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is just a guess but it looks to me like a chunk of quartz (the white areas) with something else veining. Quartz is usually safe (many aquarium gravels are made from quartz). You can test it with an acid and if it fizzes it is calcareous which means it will slowly dissolve calcium into the water, raising the hardness and pH. Vinegar is one acid, though some say it is too weak to really test, but it usually works well enough. If you have the API nitrate test kit, you could use a drop or two of Regent #2 which is a stronger acid.

Wash it well in very hot (but never boiling) water. Use an old toothbrush or similar to scrub it.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
That would explain the shiny, almost metallic shimmer it has in it. I thought it some weird marble because of the silver in it.. but hey, I'm no good with rocks :p I did try the vinegar test and no fizzing or bubbling occured. I do own the API test for nitrates, and will definitely try it out tomorrow because it is a very pretty rock. Almost too pretty to pass up in the adding of it to a tank's hardscape xD Thanks, man!! :)

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
Try a calcium/rust remover instead (i.e. CLR). Spritz some on and watch for a fizz. It's cheaper than the test kit acid. If it doesn't fizz, rinse it off in water (be careful not to get the acid on your skin, of course) and it'll be safe for the tank.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Definitely quarts. Quarts is a friendly rock and almost always shares it's own space with other minerals. Usually you find iron running through it, which would explain the red tint in some spots on your rock. I don't know what the silver vein in your rock is but the rest is quarts and a little iron.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Of course it COULD be something harmful but if it doesn't bubble I don't think it'll be a problem. I'd use it.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Okay.. I tried the nitrate #2 test and nothing fizzed.. tried CLR and nothing happened... So I assume it's safe. xD Scrubbed the living everything thing off of it with a toothbrush in running hot water.. Looks even better :p Thanks for your help, guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store