top fin heater...I need help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I purchased a top fin heater for my 30 gallon tank...I threw the box away and put it in, I mean its a heater how hard can it be to adjust right?

I have been slowly turning the knob and watching the red bar/ triangle creep up with every twist. that being said I can not see the tale tale sign it is working...the red light.

So my concern is, am I adjusting it correctly or is it just not working?

Side note: i have a heater for a 10 gallon (preset at 72 degrees I believe) in the 30 gallon. It was meant to only be a temporary solution when I discovered that my original heater had stopped. It is still in the tank and I can see the red light on it kicking on still...even though I believe that I have adjusted the top fin above the preset on the smaller heater.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sounds like it might be defective, the dial settings on alot of heaters is rarely accurate though, stick it in a bucket of cold water.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
I used to get Top Fin heaters for my aquariums too but I've found them to be a p.i.t.a. There's no actual temperatures on the dial and I don't think the dial actually does anything. They seem to heat to the same temp wether the dial is all the way to high or all the way to low. I've been slowly covering over to the Eheim Jäger heaters and I'm very satisfied so far. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Yeah I picked this one up on clearance thinking, heck ya I found a deal... I wont slam the heater just yet. I will test it first and determine it is broke or whatever. Too bad I threw my receipt away...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I run a Top Fin in my 20L that originally came with a Top Fin 29g kit. I think it's a 50 watt. Yeah, the temperature adjustment dial on top is a pain given it has no degF graduations on it. It does work though, I've had tanks up to ~88F with it for an ich treatment when I first got the setup.

If they seem to stick, try unplugging it for awhile, or work the dial all the way up/down until you see/feel/hear it *click* on/off. Mine has stuck before, but it was my fault at doing a water change with it plugged in and dropped the water level too low on it. Make sure you shove them down in the water or unplug them for WCs (better IMO).

I forget if Top Fin heaters are a perfecto or central garden and pet product. I'm thinking perfecto/marineland.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store