Anacharis melting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Got a bunch of anacharis to try to put in my planted tank. Got it in there about a week ago, and it is turning brown and all the leaves are dropping off. I'm now seeing bright green buds starting in the stalks. I'm wondering, will the stalks eventually grow new leaves or will I have to trim the new growth, remove the old stalks, and plant the cuttings to have leaves on the new growing stalks? My LFS said the anacharis is mainly used for fish/turtle food, but I'd like to have it growing...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Anachris or elodea or egeria, is a very common plant. It can be used a food for some fish (like goldfish etc) but also grows well.

It sounds like the bunch you recieved is adjusting to your water conditions. Just a warning, this plant is normally grown outdoors in ponds. In lower light the leaves are much smaller and internodes can be over an inch. It looks very different in a short amount of time.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
plant melt is pretty common with anacharis..
while there are some cooler water species of this plant there is one commonly referred to as Brazilian waterweed(egeria densa) tho I believe you may find this version on the 'list(invasive plants)
here (Washington State) we have Elodea Canadensis and also several lakes with the invasive densa(illegal to transport/posses)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
G- what type of lighting? What size tank?

Anacharis is the only plant I've ever tried that I gave up on.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I agree... I think the key may be temperature, because I have had a hard time with this supposedly "easy" plant in my tropical tanks as well, and the warmer the tank was, the worse it did.

First, if there is new growth on the stem, just let it do it's thing... It will indeed resurrect itself sometimes. I have also saved mine a few times by floating it until little roots pop out and then cut it just below the root and re-plant it... plant as many segments as you can cut from one stem... each root will be bury-able and a new stem will likely sprout just above it after it gets planted. Sometimes plants melt during their adjustment stage after being moved from an environment with different lighting and water parameters. It's pretty hardy for the most part, but it can be challenging to establish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store