Clarity for 3D background and Sandfall

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hannamerika

Registered Member
Jan 23, 2014
Hi:) I decided I wanted to have an aquarium again. We had a big one when the kids were all at home, but it kind of went away as they did. Now I have grandchildren that I think would love it, so I found a 30 gal that fits perfectly where I want to keep it and it even came with a nice filtering system. All I needed was gravel, some rocks, a few plants and fish....until...I saw one of those 3D backgrounds on youtube. Oh my gosh, I have never seen such beautiful aquariums. I would be so pleased to be able to make something like that. I am not unhandy, it is just certain knowledge, particularly fish safe products that I am not yet absolutely sure of.

I have here, for hours and I have read here and other places about the foam foundation, topped with quikrete, and soaking for days and days and water changes etc. and I really want no part of that. I read about drylok, but I actually wrote to them and they said no, it would not hold up...it would peel off. Then I read what seems to be the simplest way by a man on this very forum, to just paint it with latex acrylic. Is that doable? Will that hold up being submerged in water? Is it safe for the fish?

This is what I would like to do. I would like to carve my bg out of foam and possibly glue some extra things on with silicone. Then spray it black with krylon, then use some kind of paint I can apply with a brush to brush on highlights (white, grey, silver) colors the cement paint does not come in, then seal that with something to protect the whole business...a spray on clear latex acrylic maybe??

The sandfall....has anyone here made one using two tubes instead of just one? It seems that would work better but I am not real clear on it.

I look forward to your replies:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store