Airstone in plants tank needed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hi guys, I have 2 planted tanks right now, one is a lightly planted 75g and the other is a heavily planted 29g in the works. Instead of dosing with CO2 can I just remove the air stones so the fish create the CO2 and the fish create the oxygen? I will post pictures later so you can see what I mean by lightly planted and in the works.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Airstones are generally not needed in most tanks. The co2 given off by fish is minimal. You won't get the levels you need with just fish.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1
The only tank I have an airstone in is my snail breeding tank because snails love a ton of O2. Plants do better without airstones because they help to release CO2 from the water and back into the air.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the only thing that's worth running an air pump for in a typical freshwater aquarium is for a bubbler filter, be it a box or sponge filter. If you need to add air to oxygenate your fish tank, your way overstocked IMO.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Well that's good to know. In my 75g it's kind of heavily stocked and my 30 will be as well, is there any signs I should watch out for that maybe I need to add a stone back in?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Well that's good to know. In my 75g it's kind of heavily stocked and my 30 will be as well, is there any signs I should watch out for that maybe I need to add a stone back in?
Some people add air when they raise the temp to treat ich since warm water holds less o2 than cooler water.

Also, if you have a treasure chest with a hinged lid, an airstone may be appropriate

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good point on the ich treatment Glabe!

Plus you'd eliminate much frustration to the fish, not having to open the treasure chest themselves given no arms and whatnot.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Unless you are using pressurized co2, you don't need to worry about off-gassing co2. In fact, having surface movement will increase oxygen & co2 due to gas exchange from the atmosphere. Airstones aren't usually needed unless you like the look, there should be some surface movement from your filter. If oxygen is low, fish may gasp at the surface. They may also do it if ammonia is high etc.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Glabe and Freshy, you two are nuts! (in the nicest kind of way) M00n, these two will sell you their "No fishing" signs... gotta watch em! :)

Snails will typically move to the top of the glass and hang out there when O2 is low. Detritus worms will do the same. "Lightly planted" is usually not a very balanced tank. Agitating the surface to create CO2/O2 exchange is all that an airstone really does. Your filter does the same and is usually enough unless yours pumps water in the tank below the water's surface. Airstones do not inject oxygen into the tank's water. Simply, the bubbles are too big. Running one 24/7 can actually deplete the CO2 in the tank thus messing up the pH and hurting the plants and other inhabitants.

Airstones are like ice cream cones, they are fun to have, but no one really needs them. ... and too much can jack you up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store