Any Ideas??? What kind of Moss this is....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Any ideas on what kind of moss this is. I found it growing on one of my filters in a tank I don't keep any kind of moss in. The mosses I keep is Java and Subwassertang.

This is how it looks:
unknown moss.jpg

This is how my Java looks:
Java Moss.jpg

Finally this how my Subwassertang looks:
subwassertang.jpg

unknown moss.jpg Java Moss.jpg subwassertang.jpg

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I guess both answers is a possibility. One more thing Java is individual strands and you can pull them apart, but with the other moss it grew together in one big clump. It may have grew from one strand. It was going on top of the filter the part where the water flows out.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I second Hr0th9ar... It looks like Java Moss grown with more light and or emersed... Which would make sense since the filter is close to the light typically. That's what mine looks like in my java moss tree.

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Could it be Taiwan moss or Christmas moss? Java moss never grew very much for me so I can't really say for sure, but in my experience java is thinner, feels rough/hard, and grows with the "branches" further apart, while the Taiwan moss grows more compact and feels soft to the touch.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I agree it looks like java with more light and possibly some subwas mixed in.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I have some of the same stuff growing in one of my tanks.
Im not sure what it is, I suspect its weeping moss.

I can help with what Im sure it is not.
100% sure its not java, or flame, Christmas or peacock. The individual fronds coming off the ribs are too large and distinct and the shape isn't right

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store