My planted 110 gallon build log **update** plants!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Whats up guys,

Im slowly starting to piece together everything im going to need for my high tech 110 gallon planted tank im going to be setting up, as always ill be documenting my process with pictures and videos, so please enjoy the first installment of many to come!

Here is the inspiration for this tank!

[video=youtube;xaxGYKOakh8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaxGYKOakh8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Nice, dude. I did a stand for my 100g and it was a total pain. I feel you <3

lionhead

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
Looks like the stands I have been building for years. Love watchin a tank come together... Congrats..

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sweet, cant wait to see this thing come alive Sean. Make sure to get some brown and red plants in there! Girls love red aquatic plants LOL!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Sweet, cant wait to see this thing come alive Sean. Make sure to get some brown and red plants in there! Girls love red aquatic plants LOL!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yes, be sure and woo them with your red pants... er plants... yeah!

Seriously for a tall, bushy red plant, I have recently had good luck with "Scarlet Temple"... It just sounds sexy lol!

Funny enough without looking at the plans you looked at, I just built a stand like this for my 55 that's a little taller with a top (it's also a store display in my gift shop). I would suggest Luan or 1/4" plywood rather than particle board for your shelf on the bottom. It cuts easier and straighter. Also, throw a few support blocks of 2 x 4 in the gap at the bottom that will be under the shelf or it will sag eventually. Looking good!

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
The stand looks good. however, I am glad you decided to add the 2 supports in the middle. Is the tank going to be sitting on the 4 horizontal 2x4's or on the 6 vertical ones? I'm assuming it's going to sit on the horizontal 2x4's since if it sat on the 6 vertical 2x4's you would eventually end up with a catastrophic failure. Also if you're going to have a tank underneath, then why not have your tank drilled, baffle your sump tank, and install an over-flow? Your water level in your main tank will always maintain the same level. There would be no need for an auto-fill. The last chamber of your sump tank goes down and that's it. It also removes bubbles before it sends the water back into the main tank. That is what I am going to be doing with my 60 gallon build. It's worked for a long time with salt water tanks. Just a thought.

Sean W.

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
The stand looks good. however, I am glad you decided to add the 2 supports in the middle. Is the tank going to be sitting on the 4 horizontal 2x4's or on the 6 vertical ones? I'm assuming it's going to sit on the horizontal 2x4's since if it sat on the 6 vertical 2x4's you would eventually end up with a catastrophic failure. Also if you're going to have a tank underneath, then why not have your tank drilled, baffle your sump tank, and install an over-flow? Your water level in your main tank will always maintain the same level. There would be no need for an auto-fill. The last chamber of your sump tank goes down and that's it. It also removes bubbles before it sends the water back into the main tank. That is what I am going to be doing with my 60 gallon build. It's worked for a long time with salt water tanks. Just a thought.

Thanks for that, The tank was pre-drilled with a weir and an over flow tower, but decided to take it out. This tank is going to be in my bedroom and i wanted it as quiet as possible, so i decided to go with a Canister filter. I know you can get sumps pretty quiet, but you simply cant get them to be as quiet as a good canister filter. Not to mention im going to have a school of about 150 ember tetras in this tank, they are super tiny and would be in danger of flowing into the weir and down into the sump, to prevent this i would have to put mesh in the teeth of the weir but they would get clogged frequently because this is going to be a planted tank. Canister filter is the way to go on this one.

As far as your question about the stand and what is going to be supporting the stand, i think you might be a little confused about how the stand is designed. The tank is going to be supported by 10 vertical 2x4s...

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
I can understand why you would want to go with a canister filter under those circumstances. It was just a thought.

I get the design of the stand. I was just wondering if the lip of the tank was going to sit on the horizontal members, or on top of the 6 vertical members on along the inside of the stand.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Looks great, Sean! I think you're wise to go with a canister vs sump if you're doing CO2. Although it can be done, it sounds like too much of a learning curve to get it right, lol. Is a 110g 5ft x 18 inch foot print? I have what's called a 120 long, same dimensions, 24 inch high I still haven't set up, I look forward to your progress!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store