First Aquarium attempt. Please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TailFin

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
Is my aquarium of good qualty? First attempt ever. 60 liter tank : Box filter,I have a Termometer which is currently on 26 degrees Celsius and I do have an adjustable heating element.My water is clear and pure (I believe) I let the tank run for about a week before adding fish which I read was manditory.
- When I get my salary i will be adding decorations such as plants, rocks etc.And maby a going to toss the box filter for a gravel filter which I also read is better. I do have a light which was said to be perfect for this size tank. I'm not sure if I should keep it on permanently though?

Anyway, I have about 15 guppies, 2 algea eaters and 3 other fish but I'm not sure what they are. The pet shop owner said they won't eat the guppies and other fish though. But I forgot their names (ill try to add pictures of them. I will add some pictures of my whole setup aswell to make sure eveything is in the right order etc.)

And please don't hold back on any criticism at all regarding any matter!

Thanks! :)20140126_143522.jpg20140126_143531.jpg20140126_143544.jpg20140126_143554.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also this is the fish I'm not sure of...

20140126_154844.jpg

20140126_143522.jpg 20140126_143531.jpg 20140126_143544.jpg 20140126_143554.jpg 20140126_154844.jpg

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Too many fish!!! I would get a hang on back filter, a test kit (to make sure your tank is actually cycled) Also, what type of algae eaters? Almost all of them (except otocinclus) get wayyy to big for that tank. Also, the unidentified fish is a glofish, a genetically modified zebra danio.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
If all you did was fill up the tank and left it like that for a week, your tank is not cycled. Do you have money to buy/borrow at least an ammonia tester? (read the sticky thread above about cycling).

In any case, I would do daily water changes of about 50% for maybe 2 to 3 weeks to allow for the tank to get cycled enough. Even so, you may lose some fish because your tank is not cycled.

Once you get paid, first thing to buy is a master test kit to monitor how the cycling is going and do more frequent water changes as needed.

I'd leave the light on for only 6 to 8 hours, you don't have any plants.

Good luck!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Hi! Welcome to the hobby!

Just a few "possible" issues...

It takes longer than a week to do a fish-less cycle of the tank on a new set-up. DON'T PANIC! I did the same thing, and survived it when I first got into the hobby. You need to purchase a test kit and test water quality several times a week for the first month or so. Record your test results in a notebook where you can see the changes visually and note what action you take each time you test. You will be glad you did this!

You've added a lot of fish at once, so it will be important to do frequent water changes, but don't do HUGE water changes... 25% a few times a week might be sufficient. Your water test results will help you determine the frequency. The goal is not to shock the fish by dramatically changing their environment (water) all at once. The tank will stabilize and require less maintenance over time. I would suggest that you add some plants to help, but that's a whole different ballgame, so let's tackle what you already have in place first. You can add some plants at any time really, but I suggest something easy and fast growing like water wisteria to start you out. It won't be picky about your substrate which is not so conducive to plants, but it will work for some.

I see a shell in there... this could be good or bad depending on your water parameters. Over time the shell will likely break down as they do in nature, so you may see some changes in pH over time. Not a huge deal since it's just one.

You need to raise your water level up higher. Look at your heater... There should be a minimum level for the water line marked on it near the top. Fully submerse your heater or it may burn out on you.

Above all, have fun! You have a great resource here at AC... Members here will be happy to help you! Some will also criticize you to death, so just use some logic and try not to let anyone hurt your feelings. We all have different experiences and levels of experience, and you will climb the ladder yourself as you gain experience. One day you might find yourself answering more questions than you ask :)

Last edited:

TailFin

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
Thanks for the great replies guys! I will definitely buy some test kits in the coming weak and start cycling my tank the proper way! :) The fish looks happy though and doesn't seem to be under any stress. Also thanks for the identification of the Glofish, I appreciate it!

I raised my water level, also i fully submerged my heater and took out the shells.

Btw can you change the substrate while the tank is cycling? Because i don't like the current substrate and would like to replace it with something more healthy perhaps?
Thanks for all the effort guys hopefully i'll get the hang of it soon because i've gotten addicted to this hobby!

TailFin

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
20140126_180833.jpg20140126_180911.jpg

This is the algea eater , ive got two of them. I also want to ask, why do they sometimes lay still for a very long time and other times they swim around alot? And does the light bother any of my fish? Thanks!

20140126_180833.jpg 20140126_180911.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store