New here. :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Caprice_Acres

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
Michigan
www.capriceacres.webs.com
Real Name
Dona
We used to have tanks growing up and my father once raised tropical fish. I am currently reading and learning all I can on planted aquariums. I'd love to get a 29 gallon planted tank running, with an overflow to a 10gal sump filter tank. Still a long way to that goal I think - I need good lighting (probably going to go with LED), good substrate (thinking mineralized topsoil), and what plants/decorations I'd like to have in it (driftwood). I bought an aquascaping book and an aquarium plants book. I've got some chemistry and lots of biology background. I'm matriculating into Michigan State's vet school this fall, so I've got a pretty good understanding of how success is usually based on planning and research. The more I learn about planted tanks, the more I realize I need to know. I'm surprised I kept any of my previous fish alive, lol.

That being said, I have a little betta tank (1.25gal) that has gravel substrate, driftwood, and has 2 plants. One Java fern and one I can't remember the name to. :eek: It is a bunch plant. Its starting to root down so I need to figure out better substrate. I'm using the Seachem plant starter pack (flourish, flourish excel, and iron). I'm interested in making the poor mans' daily drops or similar instead of the pricier supplements, when I get the 29 gallon running. (I'm a college kid, remember! :D ) The little 1.25gal tank only requires I add .1ml a few times per week of each of those - so it's pretty economical at this point. I've got a tiny azoo powerfilter on my betta tank (which comes with a foam and floss filter, but I now take larger powerfilter floss pockets and cut them to size, fill with carbon, and sew it shut so he has carbon filtration too...) and I usually do weekly water changes as well. My betta is pretty spoiled, considering cheap flake food causes him to bloat up and float sideways with constipation/swim bladder probs. He then gets peas hand fed to him. - only fancy foods for him now, and no problems since. :p He is also aptly named Captain Nibbles, in case you were wondering. :naughty:

I also have a 2nd tank I just bought, probably also 1.25 gallons or so. I bought it because I ordered 3 giant merimo moss balls online. Having seen only tiny ones before, I imagined 'giant' meant the size of a large marble. Well, turns out it meant more like the size of a BASEBALL. They won't fit in my current betta tank. So now, I bought a new fancy tank for my mossballz. I'll probably get another spoiled betta or try out shrimp - for which I need much, much more research to do, lol.

Enough rambling I suppose. Hoping to ask dumb questions and money saving DIY questions mostly, and absorb some information from more experienced people. :)

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures of a poorly lit tank. :)

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
My internet went down when I was posting before... some lame joke about a fish bowl margarita.

Anyway... Welcome to AC and the wonderful world of fish keeping and plant keeping! It sounds like you have a good start and background... think big and then go bigger :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
First of all welcome to AC and planted tanks. If you are dosing ferts into the tank i think its best to get rid of the carbon in your filter. The carbon will absrob the ferts you dose and render them useless for plants. In fact, I dont use carbon at all on any tanks. Your already on the right path to a successful tank by doing research and a 29 gallon is a good start. Not to small and not too large. I hope to see the tank up and running soon :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
Awesome so far. Welcome! I agree with ktrom about the carbon. He is definitely spoiled but that means a happier and (usually :) )healthier fish :)

Caprice_Acres

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2014
Michigan
www.capriceacres.webs.com
Real Name
Dona
Good info. I had wondered about that, but hadn't gotten around to remembering to google it. :) I do water changes regularly enough that I think sans-carbon would be pretty safe.

And my new fishbowl (which I hope to set up today) is a wine glass. :) I was almost tempted to get the giant margarita glass at wally world, but itwasn't deep enough for a fish. It would've been fine for my mossballz, but where there's water, there must be fish... :p

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store