Horrible smell!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have a 20 tall betta sorority running a 60 gallon filter with some apple snails and I am trying to get rid of ramshorns ... I also have a bristlenose and a few cherry shrimp.

After my rubberlip died the smell started ... I can't find the body now But this is bothering me like crazy. I Do regular water changes and as soon as the smell started I did an 80% change ... Which didn't help ... I don't know what to do, I am afraid if the smell keeps up my boyfriend will make me get rid of it.

I really love my Sorority and my bristlenose and my applesnails ... I already downsized tanks and only kept the ones I felt I could not go without ... My axolotl and my sorority.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Sorry to hear this! What does it smell like?

Snails have an especially horrible smell. Have you checked each snail and also behind/under the tank?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Its the water specifically that smells ... It smells like ... its hard to describe ... a swamp maybe?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Run a charcoal filter.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
My filter contains charcoal. i am wondering if its the smell of dying plants

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Ok That is GREAT to know :) Somehow I never learned that lol.

I worry there is something else I could be doing.

I just got a new piece of driftwood and my water is Nice and Tan lol ... I dont think that would cause a smell ... maybe my ramshorn taking over are causing a smell? They are quickly overstocking my tank.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I find that after a while, there is sometimes a terrible smell coming from my community tank. Turns out that it is the inside lip of the rim. It collects excess food that I put in the tank that got spilled. Doesn't take much. When it sits a while and gets wet it really stinks. I just wipe it down with a wet paper towel, and all is fine tip the next time. Guess I might be a bit of a slob !! Good luck.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
My tank water stays lower than that for the snails I keep it about an inch from the top. I will try everything though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store