Stocking a 36g Freshwater Tropical Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gingerspice

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2014
Bronx, NY
I am looking to stock the tank with freshwater tropical fish.

I currently have a 36g bow front tank (it's about 30" wide by 18" tall). I have a heater, filter, light, and all the other necessities. It's currently being cycled so I'm doing my fish research. I currently have it moderately decorated but have been waiting to really decorate so I can accommodate for the fishes needs.

I have been really interested in getting fish like angelfish or dwarf gourami's. I would like a peaceful tank that I don't have to worry about my fish murdering each other but would like to have a variety of fish.

I currently have 3 cory catfish, that are roughly an inch long each, that I am looking to put into my new tank.

Thank you for your help.

image.jpeg

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If you end up with a pair of angelfish they can be pretty aggressive, if you just keep a single one they're fairly peaceful, dwarf gourami's can be aggressive towards each other, I've never had much luck with them they always end up dead with in a few months from dwarf gourami disease.

I'd consider something a long the lines of 1 angel, 2 rams, your cories, a school of some type of medium size tetra's of your choice. That leaves room for a couple other misc fish maybe a few danios, that would give you activity at all levels of the tank. You could also break your schooling group into 2 smaller schools.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
If you want a "variety" of peaceful fish as you mention, I would avoid larger species like angels. A single angelfish is not really the best (it obviously can work, not suggesting otherwise) because this is naturally a shoaling fish that lives in groups, but that means a 4-foot tank at minimum. I prefer keeping fish "naturally" so they can behave naturally.

Gourami also I would avoid, though the Honey would be a better choice than the Dwarf for health reasons as mentioned by previous poster. A group of three would work. And I would add more corys; a group of 5-6 is best, of one species, or you can have mixed species. The more the better for them and you.

What are your tap water parameters, meaning hardness (GH) and pH? There are many suitable fish for this tank, but some have more specific needs when it comes to water so this is worth knowing up front.

Byron.

gingerspice

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2014
Bronx, NY
I'm not sure of my water parameters, I set up the tank last night and need to buy a water testing kit. Is there a specific time I should test after newly setting up the tank?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would expect Sparkling Gourami would be a good option, if you want small gourami.

Personally in my 36, I've had Corydoras Habrosus, Furcata Rainbows, Chili Rasboras and Red cherry shrimp all living together without any problems and they were all there in decent numbers.

Your cories would likely do better in a group of 6+, but it really depends on what type they are in the first place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store