Any cichlids for my new 36 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KatieLR

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2014
Petsmart had a great sale on their 36 gallon bow front. I have always wanted a bow, so I got it. I have been researching for about a week, if there would be any cichlids suitable for my new tank. But there are so many and so much info out there, that I have become extremely over whelmed. So I thought I would just ask if there would be any that would suitable?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Try to define which "cichlids" you like best first to help narrow down your options. The Lakes differ greatly in their offerings and the SA area enters into even another realm.

KatieLR

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2014
I'm not quite sure which group I like best, each group has some beautiful fish! So I'm really open to anything that would suitable for the size of the aquarium (if there are any). But some of the fish I was interested in were the Jewel Cichlid ( but from what I'm seeing I don't think they would be happy in my tank?) the bumblebee, and the auratus? I am completely new to cichlids, so sorry if I sound like a total idiot when it comes to them. But I am trying my best to find out what will result in a pretty tank and happy fish :)

KatieLR

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2014
Dang it, I had made a long reply but I don't think it went threw! I am brand new to cichlids so I'm not exactly sure which "area" I like best, I have seen beautiful fish from all areas. So I am open to pretty much any fish the would work with the size. But to give an idea the few I saw that I liked where the Jewel Cichlid ( tho from what I'm seeing don't think they would be happy in my tank?) the bumblebee cichlids, the auratus cichlids, and the yellow lab. Like I said, I'm brand new to cichlids, so I'm really sorry if I sound like a total idiot talking about them lol, but I am doing as much research as I can to make sure I not only get a nice looking tank but that the fish I get will be happy and healthy :)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
First you need to give us the water parameters (tap water), hardness (GH) and pH. As has been mentioned, there are quite a number of smaller cichlids, but they will have specific water parameter needs since they will be wild caught in many cases. The shellies from Lake Tanganyika need hard water with a basic pH, while the dwarfs from South America are the exact opposite requiring very soft acidic water. Then there are the two rams which, depending upon their origin, are more in the middle to some degree.

Byron.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I agree. Find out what type of cichlids you like. For me, i love CA/SA cichlids. Since no one has suggested them yet, you should look into the cryptoheros species. But obviously do research and see if you can provide what the will need and any potential options for tankmates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Jewel cichlid are beautiful, I own one and changing the tank soon and want to look at other fish with him/her. What type is a jewel? Also what goes good with them? Mine is not aggressive at all to the fish its with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store