Fish with prolapse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have a planted 55 gallon with 5 giant danios, 3 bn plecos, 4 apistogramma cacutoides and 1 SAE. Yesterday I found one of my female apistos dead. No noticeable cause of death. For the past week my male apistos have been having this prolapse problem. I have started feeding them spirulina brine shrimp instead of the usual NLS pellets. One of the males also has a sunken side. I started dosing with prazipro yesterday because I'm sure that it's internal parasites. Can anyone confirm or debunk my suspicions? Also is the prolapse possibly caused by the internal parasites? Thanks.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1391042836274.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1391042848103.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1391042858384.jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
in short, yes a prolapse could have come from the fish trying to evacuate an internal parasite.
I treat for Hex using.(Metro-prazi) and keep the tanks warm
be cautious tho as heat can and usually expedites bacterial populations ..bacterial issues often appear with hex as a secondary infection.

I've often seen folks use heat with mela and pima fix added to the water. to treat bacterial.

but metro and prazi make a good combination (they can take time to work tho)

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
in short, yes a prolapse could have come from the fish trying to evacuate an internal parasite.
I treat for Hex using.(Metro-prazi) and keep the tanks warm
be cautious tho as heat can and usually expedites bacterial populations ..bacterial issues often appear with hex as a secondary infection.

I've often seen folks use heat with mela and pima fix added to the water. to treat bacterial.

but metro and prazi make a good combination (they can take time to work tho)
Thanks for your response,

so do you think I need to treat with metro as well as Prazi? I will have to buy a better heater for the tank if I want to get the water warmer(tbh it's probably been time for me to get a new one)...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
prazi treats other parasites, metro(metronidazole) is anti bacterial(antibiotic)

if you suspect bacterial infection you don't need to raise the temp.. my tanks are all at 80-86 but I keep angels and discus..the rams are fine in those ranges

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store