Best Nano Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
Hey all. I got out of the aquarium hobby for a while and am looking to get back into it again with a nano. The question is, what nano should I get?_____________________________1. Aqueon Evolve 8Pros: Great reviews, decent enough light for low light plants, attractive designCons: Acrylichttp://www.petco.com/product/117467...arvoice-_-QA_PSVP-_-117467-_-productname_link2. Fluval Edge 6Pros: Glass, unique design, decent enough light for low light plantsCons: Pricier, requires more spacehttp://www.petco.com/product/117228..._1-_-Fluval Edge Aquarium Kit in Black-1172283. Marineland Contour 5Pros: Glass, small footprintCons: Few reviews, no information on if the light sustains plant lifehttp://www.petco.com/product/123643...px?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_FishTanksAquariums____________________________How careful do you really have to be with acrylic tanks? If the Evolve was glass, I would buy that in a heartbeat. Acrylic seems kind of cheap and easily scratched. Any thoughts on this? What tank seems like the best buy? Any other suggestions?

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't think the fluval edge is a very good tank. I mean, the lights look great, the hidden filtration is cool.. I just can't get passed the limmited space at the opening. To me, that's just really irritating xD And acrylic is easily scratched, but if you avoid sharp edges getting close to the acrylic, what is there to worry about? If you really like the Evolve, you should go for it. It looks like a nice tank, cost effective and it supports low-light plants.. It's all a matter of what you think :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
All in one nano of those you listed the Evolve is probably the only one I'd get. Don't think the marineland will do plants, and have never been a fan of the edge's.

If you're willing to spend some money the Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 is pretty nice, glass, well constructed, versatile filter system.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Hey everyone! So I ended up buying both the Fluval Edge and Evolve (both on clearance/sale!) and am trying to decide which one to return.

I opened them up and both look really nice, but I starting thinking about my stocking. I'm hoping to stock either a Honey Gourami or a Betta, but I'm wondering if these tanks might pose a problem for their "air gulping."

Many people comment on this being a problem with the Edge and its small opening. However, if an Evolve was filled to the rim, it would have the same problem with even less space I think.

Thoughts on this? Here a photos showing the tops of each of these tanks.

fluval-edge-aquarium-2.jpg aqueon-evolve-nano-aquarium-5.jpg

fluval-edge-aquarium-2.jpg aqueon-evolve-nano-aquarium-5.jpg

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I had a Fluval Edge running before. I also had a Betta in there. I noticed that it had issues swimming to the opening to gulp air because of the flow from the filter. I usually like to run my filters with full flow, but once I lowered it, the Betta didn't have a problem gulping air. The only big issues I had with the Fluval Edge was the lighting. It wasn't strong enough for plants, so I had to mod the lights.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Good info; thank you Ben!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Id go with the evolve. Simply because ive had one and i enjoyed it. Also, you dont need to fill it to the rim and you could leave about an inch between the waterline and rim allowing you betta to get air. You can grow some plants in there as well without any light mods and your fish will appreciate that.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store