The 3D background I've been blabbing about

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It has begun! We had a few "snow days" (really ice days) here in sunny Florida, so my store was closed. The highway in front of us was closed by FDOT, so we didn't really have a choice. Anyway, yesterday my wife sent me packing to go and work on this while we were closed, because she knew I really wanted to do it but never have time. Awesome wife :)

I've been thinking about this for months, and I've changed plans several times before I finally pulled the trigger. Here are the beginnings... It's 55 gallon on a tall DIY stand I built to shelve children's books underneath at the store. The kids are gonna love this one! It is attached to the wall for safety.

Photo Jan 29, 10 19 08 PM.jpg
The wide view... pictures don't do it justice. It fit perfectly in the test fit, and everything looks proportional. This is only the bottom 75%. The top will be a "terrestrial" area that has a river, side pools, and waterfalls. I'm using a small fountain pump to draw water up through a large sponge mounted in the roof of the cave. All hardware and plumbing is hidden 100% from view within the background.

Photo Jan 29, 10 27 08 PM.jpg
Side view. Ignore the markings on the foam... I was doodle storming and decided not to go so high with plants since lighting is going to be a totally different challenge. I have a plan though :)

Substrate: Sand (my first go at it)
Fish: Guppies and Corys
Plants: TBD
Lighting: DIY LED

Any comments or suggestions?

Photo Jan 29, 10 19 08 PM.jpg Photo Jan 29, 10 27 08 PM.jpg Photo Jan 29, 10 27 08 PM.jpg

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I think it looks nice. The cave feature and the planters for the plants are very nice touches. Good job!
Keep us updated!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Wow, nice!

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Nice. Are you going to put plants into the shelves?

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Thanks everyone! I am going to get to work on it again Sunday I hope. It will be a planted tank (never going back to fish only). I wanted to add some dimension, so the "shelves" will raise the level up a little for some background plants. I am also going to try and slope the sand some up in the corner between the plant shelves and the cave planting it to hold the sand up in that slope. This will be my first adventure in sand land as well :)

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
It looks good so far! It would look better completed though! Keep us updated on any work you do. Ill know i will be keeping an eye on this thread for updates :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I love the cave. Good luck on Sunday. I'm sure you have read this before but since you mentioned this is your first go at sand. . .

If you are at all impatient (excited) when it comes to dumping everything in the tank to see what happens, sand will make the water dusty for up to a week depending on how poorly you wash it. I know because mine was dusty for almost a week even though everyone writes it should only happen for 3-4 days.

That being said I love my sand. It looks great. The fish love it. The tiny snails love it. It is easy to maintain. And the plants love it. I have val growing in an oscar tank and while growing plants with oscars is not exactly ideal, the roots are so happy that the val refuses to give up.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That is going to be awesome. Good work man!

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Just FYI - in my experience sand will level itself over time. Plants might hold it back though.... never tried that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store