Other fish in my convict tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I will be getting two convicts next week from a breeder and this summer they will be getting a 40 breeder tank and I would like to know whats compatible with them.

I know fish I would like but either my tank is too small or they are not compatible.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is not a community fish. It is best in a species tank; a pair may be kept in a 36-inch (40+ gallon) tank. In much larger tanks (over 6 feet) it may be kept with a few other Central American cichlids that are robust. This species is very aggressive and territorial, and when spawning becomes very violent to all other fish including much larger cichlids.

Byron.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Thats why I am not getting a mating pair. I have done my research on them and I know finding something compatible is not easy which is why I came here :)

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
A pair, meaning male/female, will work, but I don't think you can count on peace between two males, not sure about two females.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I will handle that as it comes up.

I am having trouble finding potential tankmates I like ... I mean I like oscars but a 40 breeder just wont cut it with them. Unless I am missing something.

The only options I can find are jack Dempseys ... And I like firemouths ...

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
A 40g is not sufficient space for any fish with one Convict or a pair.

And I am sorry, but I must comment on "handle that as it comes up." How, exactly? Unless you have a much larger tank, there is no way to handle aggressive fish. We can't change how fish behave, they are made the way they are by nature. Now, having said that, there are sometimes exceptions, but more often than not a fish of a species will tend to behave normally. And trying to force any fish to behave abnormally just to suit our whim is irresponsible. If any aquarist is not prepared at the outset to provide what a fish requires, they shouldn't have it.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I meant by getting another tank :) Not by trying to change them.

Now I talked to the breeder and they will just be sending me a few more so I will have a species only tank :)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I keep my pair with about 12 danios ..works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store