Need suggestions on a external pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msebar

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
South Florida
Real Name
Michael
180g planted with 55g sump. Need to use external to keep water temps in check. I wanted a high flow rate but the daul overflows rated by Marineland is 700gph each. The lift height is 5 feet.

How can I reach 10x with those ratings?

The Little Giant is rated at 1325 @ 1 foot. Will this be good enough?

This would give me 6x maybe a bit less 5.5x.

Your suggestions please.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Are you planning one of those super lush planted tanks with a few schools of fish and shrimp or are you planning a lightly planted tank with 180 fish inches of community fish (or something completely different)?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I don't believe that pump(little giant FP) is water cooled..it can be used either submersed or not
it just requires the pump to be below the water line since it's not self priming. a greater concern would be what size fitting it uses,

you may want to check out some reef sites or the marine section as they usually shoot for a high turn over

Loach guy

Loach guy
Dec 20, 2013
Michigan
Real Name
Scott
The smallest orifice in a fluid system is the point that determines flow for the entire system. In this case, if your overflows are truly only 700GPH each, then your flow rate can only be 1400GPH. You will overfill your tank, and drain your sump if you exceed the limits. I would just go with the pump rated at 1325. If you wanted more, than maybe a canister filter or something could make up the difference.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The Little Giant pumps usually have 1/2" PVC fittings, but they make others up to 3/4" I have 2 of them... one submerged and one not... they both work very well. Just be sure and skip the flow control dial fitting they include... that is a leaky piece of crap!

msebar

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
South Florida
Real Name
Michael
If a pump is submersible then it would be water cooled even when used as an external. If the pump is used externally then how does it get cooled? There are no fans that push air and if they did then it can't go under water, it uses the water that gets sucked in to do the cooling. If I am wrong please let me know.

On the next subject the pump pushes 1000 gph at 5 feet using 106 watts. At this rate after plumbing I would be left with about 800 gph which is not enough for me. If I move to the next pump the watts ho way up.

I found the Dart/Snapper with no bad reviews has anyone here have any input on this pump? The specs are below for both units Little Giant and the Dart/Snapper.

FP Series Pumps664 75%.jpg DART-SNAPPER-Hybrid-chart.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store