What Are Your Flow Rates - Tank Size - Sump Type Planted/non Planted?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msebar

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
South Florida
Real Name
Michael
I would like to know what flow rates everyone is using. I am trying to determine if I should add plants to the sump in a planted tank and reduce the flow rate or use the 5 to 10 times per hour rate and not use plants in the sump. Being the tank will be largely planted I dont see the need for more in the sump. I would have to run another light and temps I have had on past tanks running just florescent lighting in my house were 80 degrees. I have always felt that temps 80 and above were just a bit high. I am now using leds but the lights are going to be on longer. I dont want to invest in a chiller if I dont have to nor bring my house temps below 76. I live in south florida.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Based only on my experience here is how I bend the rules without catastrophe and death:

Sumps are reservoirs of water to make sure all the pumps are submerged and flowing. Make sure there is always enough water for that.
Sumps are great for holding bio media. The amount of bio media is dependent on fish. The standard ratings by all the manufacturers seem pretty good. They are also called trickle filters. As long as there is any water flow at all (even 1x per hour) the bacteria will thrive.

Sumps contain some form of mechanical filtration. If the water has lots of junk floating in it I increase my gph. If my water is clear I can turn it down.

Heavily planted tanks naturally filter more than clown barf rocks, plastic plants, and treasure chests so they need less traditional filtration.

As if this was not confusing enough here is another spectrum to consider:

All plants = only enough water flow to make sure things don't get anaerobic. Tons of fish = tons of filtration. A heavily planted 55g with a couple gouramis will barely need any flow at all. 5 oscars in a 55g would require a 200g sump and 10x turnover.

Short useful advice: Use a test kit and keep records. Worst case scenario you do more water changes while you play with the configuration. Invest in a notebook and pen and skip the chiller and under tank lighting system for the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store