My planted 60 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
This is really my first foray into planted tanks. I'm using root tabs and will have better tops within a week. It has a single T8 5500k bulb on it now but I have a dual T5 HO fixture with two 6700k bulbs waiting for the glass tops.

uploadfromtaptalk1391362864997.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1391362864997.jpg

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I am digging it! I have to ask do you have Malaysian trumpet snails or anything? The reason I ask is those are some deep hills.
I can't wait to see it grown out some more. Keep us updated.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Loving it, but 2 questions

1) Why is there a canyon in the middle??
2) Why the fascination in Chickens??

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I am digging it! I have to ask do you have Malaysian trumpet snails or anything? The reason I ask is those are some deep hills.
I can't wait to see it grown out some more. Keep us updated.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Agreed -- that's one deeeeep sand bed!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Thats going to be a fun boilogy experiment in time. With that deap of a sand bed you"ll get layers of different microbes forming. Look up Winogradsky column.

You"ll need a lot of plants and some deap rooted ones "swords etc" to hold those hills in place. In time gravity always wins.
That is a unique stand you have there btw.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
I luke the set up but I hope that the up right piano was allready broken before you decided to turn it into a fish tank stand.
Back story (que tin pan alley silent cartoon instrumentals):
Someone was using a pulley and rope to move the piano up three stories but the rope broke and fell on the person smashing them into an accordion shape. Then you walked by saw the piano helped the guy from underneath. He was so happy he gave you the piano and walked away (in the manner people lookong like accordions do) So you removed the brass sound board to lighten the load and you sold the brass for scrap; using the money to by the tank and stock it :)

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
The piano was indeed a junk piece. The substrate is mostly sandstone slabs piled in the shape I wanted, then covered with sand. I know it is deep, and I've wondered about the long term effects that will have, but so far no problems. I do have some tiny MTS that came in as hitchhikers, and 4 Apple snails. Thinking about adding some RCS when my moss gets started, but I'm afraid the angel fish will obliterate them.

Guenol

AC Members
Jul 28, 2013
San Angelo, Texas
Here's a pic of the top with the piano top open to access the filter. This is my favorite tank at the moment.

uploadfromtaptalk1391374062705.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391374062705.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That is a cool use of an old piano. I recently helped a friend/neighbor move a piano like that from their garage, to in the house. 4 big guys and WOW did we struggle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store