Excel OD

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
I did an extremely stupid thing today. I over dosed my excel. Instead of my daily 10 ml dose I dumped probably 300 ml in my 125 gallon and did not realize it until the loss of a snowball pleco, false zebra pleco, multiple snails, gray poly, and hopefully no more.
I am looking for suggestions on what to do. I am open to anything and I know one number one will be w/c and number two will be BB.
Here's issue number two is usually take two days to condition RO/DI water for my freshwater tank.
I am currently conditioning tap water for my tank and I am nervous. I ran my tap water through two carbon blocks and currently dosed 6ml of prime for my 45 gallon drum, I have a quite one 2200 circulating the water along with a 1200 power jet power head with a large air stone.
I plan on doing this and matching the PH and temp over the next couple hours.
Will I be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
That sucks. Sorry for your losses. Why are you so paranoid about using tap water? Is it way off from what your tank parameters are?

Sent from my SGS4 Active

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
That sucks. Sorry for your losses. Why are you so paranoid about using tap water? Is it way off from what your tank parameters are?

Sent from my SGS4 Active
Me too. I spent two years using bad well water and spending a lot of money on filtration I have control now and I don't want to give it up. My water is what I want it to be.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, sorry to hear about the mishap!

If you want to again make your water what you want it to be, you're going to have to make enough for a huge water change. That ~300mL dose was about 25x higher than recommended on the bottle.

I don't know how quickly a glutaral product like excel dissipates in a dosage that high.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Yes, sorry to hear about the mishap!

If you want to again make your water what you want it to be, you're going to have to make enough for a huge water change. That ~300mL dose was about 25x higher than recommended on the bottle.

I don't know how quickly a glutaral product like excel dissipates in a dosage that high.
Thanx. I preformed est60% w/c this morning and working on getting the second batch of water up to temp.
In watching the tank and seeing the effects on the water and the fish it seems to take a few hours.
I should document water I saw being most people who OD excel are dosing a 5 gallon and only by a couple ml. Not a couple hundred ml.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Why does it take 2 days to condition your RODI?
TL in short I am a complete water snob. My RO pumps out 90 gallons a day so there is a good part of day one, I start the agitation, do a ph test, TDS measure and then let my ph balance for a true ph test. For a true ph read you should let your source sit for 24 hours which I do. I dose ro right and balance my ph along with matching the temp. I'll do another ph test a TDS test before my w/c. I'll also add any type of dry ferts or BB while the agitation is going. I have a QT1 2200 to keep my source water moving also great for mixing.

I also kind of enjoy the whole science behind the prep. It keeps me from getting bored.

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Ah I normally keep 50 gallons already made up but in an emergency just need a couple hours to make it and heat it, add some equilibrium. Unless you're keeping some super sensitive fish a few tenths difference in PH wont hurt anything.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Ah I normally keep 50 gallons already made up but in an emergency just need a couple hours to make it and heat it, add some equilibrium. Unless you're keeping some super sensitive fish a few tenths difference in PH wont hurt anything.
I usually have a stock as well but I broke everything down to clean and redo some plumbing.
These guys are not sensitive but have become spoiled.
I may take this event to consider my process and take it back a few notches.

jlennonW

AC Members
Mar 3, 2012
Looks like I lost a Danio last night. The rest of the fish are stressed out and have cloudy eyes. I have replaced 100 gallons so far and added carbon in my canister. I have another 50 gallons prepped to do another w/c tonight after work.
Yesterday I noticed it took a 80 gallon w/c to clear the cloudy water up but returned soon after replacing the water. It looked a little hazy this morning but I did not turn the lights on.
Along with w/c I have treated the tank with TLC Live Bacteria, and malafix 5% solution, the tank also has plenty of surface agitation and flow in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store