New to aquaria. Owner of a 10.39 gallon tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thedustofcosmos

Registered Member
Feb 3, 2014
Hi there! I recently bought a tank that came with a Tetra Whisper 10i filter. The person who helped me at petsmart also recommended a heater that i bought. I had little time to plan before I bought this tank. My roomate bought me two dwarf frogs that came in one of those tiny "self-sustaining" ecosystems for my birthday. My cats knocked it over and broke it, so i was forced to buy a new tank, upon which i learned the "self-sustaining" part was bull****. Needless to say, I had to relocate the frogs before the nitrogen cycle finished. They seem to be doing fine and grow more active daily. The tank has been set up for 2 weeks now, with plants the person at Petsmart recommended. I have a few questions regarding my start up:

1. I checked with aquavisor and it suggested a 20% water change weekly. Is this ideal?
2. How often should i change my filter cartridge?
3.Which fish should i get? I don't want schooling fish and I like the look of dwarf gourami, guppies, scarlet badis, platies and whiteseam fighters. I want my tank to be colourful and be able to tell the difference between my fish. (And of course for my fish to be compatible with one another and have similar chemistry/temperature requirements) I don't want to deal with fry. So I don't want opposite sex of the same species. Are there any other recommendations?
3. Two of my three plants have only a few roots sticking out. Is this a problem? They were really hard to plant. I tried a few times and their current state was the best result I got. I am reluctant to fix them for fear of exposing even more roots.
4. I want a variety of bottom feeders to live along side my dwarf frogs. Would Kulhi loaches and cherry shrimp be okay? I thought about getting two of each to help reduce excess food and eat algae. Is two cherry shrimp enough to experience a benefit in the tank? I heard their bio-load is next to nothing, so I would consider getting more if I need to.
5. I have plenty of time to properly maintain this tank, so I am comfortable with working at full capacity (eventually). I want to work my way up to it.
That's all for now. I'd be glad to hear any advice or have any misconceptions I might have cleared up.
My name is Chris, by the way :)

Some additional details about the tank:
Other than the 3 plants and the frogs, all that's in it is gravel (on an incline. 2" in the back and 1" in the front), a small seashell and a bonsai ornament I got at Petsmart. So it is lightly decorated... if that affects my stocking options at all.

thedustofcosmos

Registered Member
Feb 3, 2014
Oh, and my tank also came with a lid with two lightbulbs. I'm not sure of the wattage, but I think they might be too hot for my tank, which seems odd considering they came with it. The reason I think this is because my tank thermometer usually reads about 80 degrees Fahrenheit, even though I have my heater set to 78, and the light is never on. (The heater is set to turn on automatically when the temperature falls below the set temperature)
Should I look into returning the heater? Maybe it is on, but the light isn't indicating it? If I turn the set temperature up above 80, the indicator light turns on. So I can't figure out why the temperature is so high. It even reaches 82 degrees at certain times during the day.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Welcome! Thank you for coming back.

1. That water change schedule will be fine. You should get a test kit like an API Master Kit to monitor water parameters and record the results each time in case of a problem in the future so we can help you out.
2. Filter media is where a lot of bio activity happens. Most of us don't change ours unless it's falling apart. Feel free to unclog it (if that even happens) by rinsing it with dechorinated fresh or used tank water. (You may want to remove the carbon inside because you have plants, but let's tackle that another day. It's not crucial.)
3. I'll tackle one of the problems I know the most about... Plants. Can you tell us what kind of plants the 3 plants you mentioned are?

(I don't remember specific numbers after 3 because I'm on mobile... Sorry)

I believe that African frogs will harass red cherry shrimp (RCS), but I've only had the shrimp part of the equation. 2 RCS is not enough anyway as far as algae control goes. A small group of otocinclus would be your best bet in a tank this small. As for bottom feeders, I prefer little albino cory cats. They stay small which is an important factor here. Also they are very active and fun to watch :)

It sounds like your heater is fine since it comes on when you raise the thermostat. The light will degrade in intensity over time since it's a fluorescent tube, so I'd just leave it alone and allow nature to take its course (haha nature)

Let us know about the plants, and we'll be glad to help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
errrmmmm...this post is from the same day he did the GFW thread.....

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
errrmmmm...this post is from the same day he did the GFW thread.....
Weird. It showed up as new in my "What's New" feed, but now I see it's because you rubber stamped it with your patented "Welcome to AC". I recognized it, but I kinda figured he ditched the old thread and tried again lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store