need advice on turtle/fish tank build-up on glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texsara

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
East Texas
I have a 55 gal tank with water up to about 35 gallons and above the water line is some kind of scum or residue or SOMETHING! I don't know what it is or how to remove it. I've tried and tried to scrub it off. The water itself is super clean and it's just above the water line up to the top of the tank where this is happening. The first couple years I had this set up it didn't do that, so I'm confused. I can't scrub it off or anything..it's mainly right in front of the area where the filter is and I can't see my beautiful RES sitting on his basking plank. The only thing I can think of that I am doing any different is I use a turtle water cleaner every couple of weeks...other than that,nothing different! :( Any ideas? Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sounds like "Hard-Water" stains.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
You can use vinegar (slow) or CLR (much faster) to remove hard water deposits. I've used CLR along with a razor blade to scrape off hard water deposits on my fish tanks. My well water has a pH of 8.3, so I am always dealing with hard water deposits. It is also possible that you just have a lot of fine scratches on the glass at the water line (probably from years of removing hard water deposits!). A harsh scrubber, a nicked razor blade or a grain of sand in a soft pad can leave lots of very fine scratches that will make the glass look hazy.

BTW - if you use CLR, you will need to take everything out of the tank and rinse, rinse, rinse to make sure all the acid is gone.

wren

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Has your water changed in any way? It might be harder than it used to be?

texsara

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
East Texas
Thanks everyone for all the replies! It sounds like that is what it may be...I can't get a pic (just got a new laptop and I haven't figured out how to get them out of my cam on to here yet) ;) but it looks cloudy like a dirty aquarium looks (but it's really clean). I will try what you advised,Wren. Thanks so much!!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
It sounds like turtle wax build up. Order a buffer to put on his shell and he will clean the tank for you.

images.jpg

Animals like working for people and turtles are no exception.

vac.GIF

I hope this helps. For what it is worth I have no turtles but I'm sure this would work.

images.jpg vac.GIF

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store