Kiddie Pool and Stock Tank Ponds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Well it has been a while and right now the snow is coming down hard. Funny time to post about the springtime plan for Kiddie Pools and Stock Vats. After last years experience, I will be much better prepared than last time. Any advice, comments, questions or what ever will be greatly appreciated. On a side note, if you have never tried this you just got to, way too cool.

This year I am going with some higher dollar fish. Basically, I'm still selling off the Endlers and Least Killies from summer. This year I plan on breeding Painted Swords, pumpkin orange with black marbling. I also have a few Koi Swords and 8 RREA Swords. I'm thinking I'll do some platys as well, but will wait until closer to spring to get those. Of course, I'll be breeding more Endlers and Least Killies. This year I'll focus on my line of Blond Endlers, very nice looking and uncommn fish. I also have adult Belonasox and I'm thinking a batch of fry will be raised outside.

One major change will be the use of breeding traps. The swords and platys will eat too many fry, so I'm going to make my own breeding traps. If you have any ideas on how to do this do tell. I plan to use rubber made 48" long x 28" x 26" with holes drilled in the bottom and walls. I'll be placing these on top of PVC to elevate them off the bottom. I will stock the breeders into the traps and pour five gallons through daily to wash out any fry that did not swim out on their own. I'll be removing, grading and sorting sword and platy fry weekly. The other change will be the use of grow out pools. I will have 2 - 90 gal hard plastic kiddie pools and one Intex 110" x 72" x 18". I will also use the 2 vats for growing out Koi and RREA swords as there should not be too many due to limited number of breeders. I'm upgrading my pump to a Pond Master 40 and placing HOB ports on each container. I'll be adding duckweed and java moss.

So what do you think so far?????

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I was actually thinking of trying this out this spring and summer. Any advice for a first timer?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Make sure the pool gets some shade during the day and put emergency siphone line in to handle heavy rain. Additionally, don't feed too much as the fish will get a lot of natural food. The mosquito larva will appear within two weeks. Also, if you end up with tadpoles feed them to your cichlids or sell them to someone with cichlids.

What type of fish are you considering and where are you located?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im in MA just outside of Boston. So in the spring i was thinking some colder water fish and then once it get warm i would do some convicts and sell they fry at my local fish club. Some as feeders for other people fish and some ill raise to sell on craiglist and the fish club. Where i live i dont have to worry about tadpoles luckily because im not close enough to a body of water to have frogs. I would do more fish but since thish is my first time, ill keep it simple and keep making changes as i go if neccesary.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I was curious if you had pics of your last set-up.
I watched and kept up with his last thread about his stock tanks and kiddie pool and it was really cool. Maybe you could find them here. I would give you the link but i dont know how to just yet.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I'm not sure there is much point in breeding convicts. I don't think you will get many buyers. They are hard to NOT breed. Unless you can get one of the newer color varieties. There might be some market for them.

Would it be possible to cut the entire bottom out of the totes and replace it with that plastic cross stitch material (semi-stiff plastic grid material)? I have used that to make small breeder traps. It is easy to cut and can be stitched together with fishing line. Maybe you could use silicone to attach it to the tote bottom. The holes are a good size to let fry escape but yet keep the adults in. It would also give good water movement between the tote and tank.

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store