Gouramis stock check

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
I've had my tank up for about three months. I've got a silver dollar, school of 9 tetras, a four inch male blue gourami, two inch female blue gourami, a pleco, an eclipse catfish, and african drawf frog. Can I get a gold gourami? I think thats what its called, a yellow one. Theres a four inch male at the local fish store I want to get.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
tank size would help people help you :) I do not think male gourami like other male gourami
P.S. Silver dollars should be kept in groups of six or more

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Mixing male gouramis is usually a bad idea due to territorial issues especially if a female is involved. Can you give us more info on this tank? This info can help decide if getting that other gourami would be either a good idea or a really bad one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DallasJeremy

AC Members
Feb 4, 2014
sorry, its a 55 gallon. Does it matter if the silver dollars arnt the same size? the pet store only has small ones, 1 inch, and mines three inches? the tank is well decorated and planted.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How big is the tank?

You never know with gourami, as far as how they're going to get along. Lots of space and decor to break up lines of sight and provided areas to escape can help.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Agree, we need to know the tank size. But assuming it is not 4 feet in length or larger, I would not add the Gold.

The Gold and Blue Gourami are actually the same species, Trichopodus trichopterus [may still be seen under the former genus Trigogaster]. There are several variants, including Blue, Gold, Three-Spot, Cosby, and Opaline. All these are the same fish in different colour patterns.

Males are territorial, sometimes very much. A male and 2-3 females is the best for this species. Males have been known to kill other males. This applies to many species of gourami, to varying degrees, so mixing species is also a risk depending upon the species and the tank size.

And as the previous member said, Silver Dollars are a shoaling fish needing a group. But before increasing them, be careful; they eat plants, they get large (6 inches), and they may not like the gourami and vice-versa.

Byron.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Sweet I love 55 gallon tanks! I would take your male female pair gouramis back to the pet store (or go to the pet store and by another tank for them) and pick up some friends for the silver dollar they will be more interesting to look at in a group and will most likely love life more.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store